MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!!!
Can you tell me where are Oxygen sensor and ECU in my mini cooper?
Can you mail me (or post) some photographs to explain and indicate right locations?
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
your not thinking about putting one of these £5 ECU remap things on your mini are you?

its only a resistor and only fools the o2 sensor into thinking more air is coming through so therfore more fuel is added....

bad idea if you are...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all: Thank you for your answer Drew!
And thanks to Dazo too!

For Dazo: A friend of mine wants to sell me a "performance chip" to put between o2 sensor and ECU. I don't know if it's the same that you talkin' about.
My "friend" sells me it for 39 $!!
I have a photo of it. If you want I can post it so you can tell me if it's the same and what do you think about.
Please tell me why It's a bad idea...any risk for my mini?
And, please, can you tell me where's o2 sensor location??
Thank you again...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rakey!
The chip purpose is more power (some HP increase) but I don't know anything about it.
I'd like to know if it will be dangerous for my car.
I only know that it fits between ECU and O2 Sensor and it's not a resistor (so the factory wrote on the box!).
Please give me more informations you can...

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Basically anything thats an inline mod (unless its an actual chip tuner) is something to avoid. A chip tune should not fit between the 02 sensor and the ecu (at least I can't see anyreason for an 02-ECU inline other than to create a false O2 signal to the ECU)

If you create a false 02 signal to the ECU it will adjust the fueling accordingly, this can in some circumstances provide more power, but very little. All it usually does is increase fuel use and can at worst cause the ECU not to spot O2 problems. The absolute aweful potential is for it to create a totally horrendous signal to the ECU and cause the car to lean out and damage the engine!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Ah but if you go richer and have other mods then you will get more power as the fueling has been raised slightly to either protect the engine or match the performance mod. Don't forget that you can't force that much too much fuel in, as its regulated by the max cc of the injector and the max duty cycle of same injector and the fuel pressure (it'll omly stay open so long and push so much fuel through a certain size hole under a certain pressure)... doing that mod is kind of like changed up to bigger cc injectors surely.... but no-where near as effective. And IMO bordering on very dangerous, due to the fact that if a guy is that much of a cowboy as to cut a corner with a cheap mod, then what else has he cut corners on ... the testing, one would assume!

.... errr

... bang goes the engine if they get the resistance wrong or you get a real fueling/air problem and the ECU can't spot it due to a dodgy signal.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
TBH guys the sensor in the exhaust ONLY controls the fuel mixture when the engine is off load, so any tricks or mods here wont help a lot.

You would do better to just unplug the sensor totally if you want to go richer.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
TBH guys the sensor in the exhaust ONLY controls the fuel mixture when the engine is off load, so any tricks or mods here wont help a lot.

You would do better to just unplug the sensor totally if you want to go richer.
I think the idea is to make it think its running lean and increase the long term fuel adjustment so that it will effect open loop also. I still dont see how it will give any performance unless you can get more air sucked in accordingly.

Wouldnt be good for the MOT test and the CAT defiantly wont be working properly either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi again,
The Air flow meter your car currently has is almost like a variable resistor, it takes into account the amount and temperature of the air entering-> sends the signal to the ECU-> ECU does its thing with air/ fuel and there voilla your engine runs....
The "chip" you are thinking of buying is a resistor...nothing more...it probably costs less than £1 to make aswell... It bascially sends a constant signal to the ECU as opposed to the variable air flow meter you already have. The size of the resistor will vary with the "tune" you want aswell :D

TBH its alot of crap, even though its cheap and sounds good its not... Why do people buy bluefins and remaps if a chip is so simple and cheap....

If it sounds to good to be true.... it usually is...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The mini does not have an airflow sensor, or known as an air mass sensor.

As standard the cars ECU will return to an air/fuel ratio of 14.7 in closed loop (off load)

In my datalogging I have found this to sometimes be too lean already and at a steady motorway cruise of 70mph the EGT temps raise to over 870 degrees! A quick blip on the throttle and they drop to around 750 in about 2 seconds.

I would advise not to mess unless you know what you are doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts