MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper 2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 03 MC that has what I believe is likely to be faulty Body Control Module.
wipers staying on with ignition off
headlights only coming on with headlights
hazard lights coming on after ignition off
amongst symptoms
Has a wet drivers side carpet so probably water damaged
my question is if I take the module out (after resolving whatever is causing the water ingress)
and after drying and cleaning it still doesn’t work
will a sec hand one work ?

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
876 Posts
It should work. and sounds like you are aware of the water path travel onto the drivers side carpet. The second hand market is fairly large and consist's mainly of junkyards salvage yards selling there parts online. They are pretty good at selling the units cheap also. I in my opinion I would not see a problem with one as it will not need any programming or anything done after installation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
BCM needs to be coded to the car and have the same options enabled. There are people (I believe) who can "ghost" the settings from the old one to the replacement.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
876 Posts
just a real quick question. When was the last time you changed your alternator? There is a updated revision of the first gen alternator. If yours is the original. They also come in the two flavors 105amp and 120amp. Make sure if yours takes the 105amp to get the 105amp, as you can end up with a whole new series of problems by getting one with more power. Although in the alternator world. It is stated that a car can run any power alternator as the car only draws on it for the resource like a pool of electricity. Not worried about what the top end is. But with modern cars the alternator still relays with the ECU.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper 2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies . To update ive Stripped interior well seats etc to remove the carpet as it is More water than carpet! The BCM removed and allowing to dry .
in terms of the alternator no I’ve not checked that but i will .
Sorry for the late reply
Dave

·
Registered
Mini Cooper 2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,Went to start to reassemble the interior etc and reinstall BCM but noticed on the white plug one of the pins has broken off and is embedded at the loom connector end!
I plan now to replace the BCM as it must be pretty damaged by the water and replace the white plugs loom
I have purchased a spare BCM
Are all the r50 looms the same?
This feels like it’s going to be a pain to do
Any advice?

·
Registered
Mini Cooper 2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BCM replaced everything works apart from the central locking
Anyone know of anywhere in Yorkshire that can code/match the BCM to the car using the old BCM?So can get central locking working
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts