MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just fitted a reconditioned midland gearbox to a Mini Cooper 1.6 petrol. The gearbox was like for like swap from a reputable supplier, a the same time I fitted a new clutch kit from Europarts. 641120011 22R23C Transmech cluctch kit.
The clutch was aligned with a universal tool and everything appeared to go together ok. The engine started first go and there are no noises from the clutch or gearbox. I then tried to engage a gear with the engine running and couldn’t get one, reverse just crunched while trying to engage. I checked everything including bleeding the slave cylinder but nothing has made any difference. The slave cylinder has about 55mm when compressed in position and increase to about 68mm when pedal is pressed ( fitted in position against the clutch arm) the only thing that is bothering me is the release bearing looked a different type from the one I removed, however I never measured the thickness. I’d be interested to hear anyone thoughts before I strip it all down again ! Thanks

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
did you find stamped writing on the clutch centre plate FLYWHEEL SIDE ie this side must go on to flywheel facing it and the engine, also when fitting the clutch back plate did you use the preload tool i doubt you did as expensive and a lot of garages dont, but is important when fitting back plate to do all the bolts up a 1/4 turn each and keep working opposites so not to throw the automatic adjuster ring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts