MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I'm having some electrical problems with my Mini Cooper 2006 which are becoming a real headache, I hope someone on Mini2 can give any help or advice please?

Last year my Cooper developed some electrical faults - various lights on the dashboard stopped working (indicators, high beam, speedo illumination, etc), central locking stopped working and the brake lights would activate when the key was removed from the ignition, draining the battery.

These were intermittent problems, and seemed to only happen in the wet.

Then, about six months ago, the car wouldn't start at all. After diagnostics, the electrics (lock set) were replaced, including ecu, immobiliser, bcu, ignition, keys, etc, and this solved the problems with starting the car and the dashboard.

However, the problems with the dashboard light illumination returned, gradually became more intermittent, and now the dashboard doesn't work at all. Also, if you remove the key from the ignition with the headlights still on, the headlights turn off as they should, but the side lights and brake lights turn on!

I spoken to a few mechanics and read a load of posts, but it's a real headache, please does anyone have any ideas or advice?

A lot of the evidence suggests it's the bcu, but do I need a new bcu, can the bcu be sent off and repaired, have I got water ingress somewhere causing the problem, or is it something completely else etc?!

I really hope someone can help, and many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
This is a relatively common issue with the R50-53 Minis.

A common problem on sunroof equipped cars is the drain tubes block up or come off under the headliner whch causes it to run straight down the plastic trim and right onto your bcm

Another common issue is a badly fitted windscreen causing the BCM to get wet.

Firstly is the carpet wet?

If so you or the mechanic needs to find the source of the leak and put a stop to it.

Secondly the BCM might be able to be rescued, remove the unit and open it up, hopefully you might be able to gently draw out the moisture from the internals of the unit and the plugs...

Again there is no point fixing the BCM if the leak still persists..

The BCM is located in quite a vulnerable area just behind the bonnet pull near to the floor, next to the accelerator if you're in the UK.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
My car has developed the same issues today, did you get yours fixed yet?
Another little detail i forgot to include in the info above is the sunroof seal can actually fatigue, causing a leak.. :nerd:

Of course this only applies if you have a sunroof or the convertible! :big_grin:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
sounds like who ever repaired the first car on this post repaired the outcome and not the fault, ie water getting at the bcm or the wiring that runs to and from it, hose pipe and a friend is all that needed and a torch find the water leak. not meant to have water inside the car

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hello Guys,

I'm having some electrical problems with my Mini Cooper 2006 which are becoming a real headache, I hope someone on Mini2 can give any help or advice please?

Last year my Cooper developed some electrical faults - various lights on the dashboard stopped working (indicators, high beam, speedo illumination, etc), central locking stopped working and the brake lights would activate when the key was removed from the ignition, draining the battery.

These were intermittent problems, and seemed to only happen in the wet.

Then, about six months ago, the car wouldn't start at all. After diagnostics, the electrics (lock set) were replaced, including ecu, immobiliser, bcu, ignition, keys, etc, and this solved the problems with starting the car and the dashboard.

However, the problems with the dashboard light illumination returned, gradually became more intermittent, and now the dashboard doesn't work at all. Also, if you remove the key from the ignition with the headlights still on, the headlights turn off as they should, but the side lights and brake lights turn on!

I spoken to a few mechanics and read a load of posts, but it's a real headache, please does anyone have any ideas or advice?

A lot of the evidence suggests it's the bcu, but do I need a new bcu, can the bcu be sent off and repaired, have I got water ingress somewhere causing the problem, or is it something completely else etc?!

I really hope someone can help, and many thanks in advance!

Third post over a year, all three asking for help, but never once had the common decency to reply of thank anyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts