MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mini has 17 inch run flats (205/45 R17) but I find them very noisy and "bumpy" - the side walls are so stiff that the ride is really uncomfortable. The noise rating on the tyres is as high as you can go!

I spoke to my local tyre dealer about fitting quieter non-run flats but they said that it would probably invalidate the insurance as "run flats" were original equipment / specification. Any thoughts or advice on this issue would be welcome before I go deaf and my fillings fall out!

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2011 (R56 N18). Mini One 2012 (R56 N16).
341 Posts
I feel your pain. Currently trying to wear out runflats that came on the car when I bought it.
Cant see that Insurance would be an issue.
I suppose the only ones who can tell you for sure are your insurance company. Ring em up and ask.

·
Registered
Mini cooper S R53
21 Posts
Run flats are AWFUL tyres. Go for Rainsports 3 and carry a can of tyre weld with you. Rainsports are one of the best tyres for noise levels and wet grip. At c£75 a corner, they are reasonable too. I have them on my Megane 225 rs and they are amazing. Fitting to my S next week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hit a bump on dual carriage way and car veered so hard to the right we nearly ended up in the central barrier.
I've ditched the runflats and now have "normal" tyres. The difference in comfort and noise levels has made the cost well worthwhile. Wish I'd done it earlier. (I bought a "skinny" spare for £50 on ebay rather than rely on Tyreweld typre products.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts