MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mini Gangster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get one and how much?

Also are they difficult to fit? Would any auto-electrician manage it or will BMW have to do it?

If anyone has any instructions they could show me that would be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
davewgarden said:

Also are they difficult to fit? Would any auto-electrician manage it or will BMW have to do it?

Cheers
I enquired at my BMW dealer and I seem to remember them being either 200 or 400 quid a pair! (Sorry, big difference but it was a while ago) Like you, I wanted four but dismissed it at that price. :eek:

Can anyone confirm how good they are. I live in a very dark, rural area and wonder if practically they are worth investigating?

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
I have 1 pair, and whats annoying about them is that i had them factory installed and it only turns on when my highbeams are on.
additionally, when my high beams are on, the fogs on the bottom turn off!.

I need to spend some time following wires to rig it to my desires.

As for quality, well they DO do the job. i would think some aftermarket brand might be better in terms of brightness. I saw one car with the quad light aftermarket setup. they fabricated a mounting bracket and attached the lights to that.

i dont know how creative you want to get. or just have it done.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
davewgarden said:

Cheers
MINI say you can't fit four as it restricts airflow. This could cause warranty issues if you for example had engine problems.

They are not a huge job to fit as far as I am aware, but they are initialised by computer at your dealers so they wouldn't actually work if you did them yourself!

They are dealer fit items and don't come out of the factory, BTW.

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
StevePSB said:
MINI say you can't fit four as it restricts airflow. This could cause warranty issues if you for example had engine problems.

They are not a huge job to fit as far as I am aware, but they are initialised by computer at your dealers so they wouldn't actually work if you did them yourself!

They are dealer fit items and don't come out of the factory, BTW.
I have 4 spots installed by MINI, no mention at all of warranty dramas and ceretainly no decrease of power or higher temps due to restricted airflow. If you want 4 go for it i say.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No need to apologise WyMiniCooper! :)

MINI UK issued a bulletin to dealers about not fitting 4 in summer, mentioning it could cause airflow problems. Before that there wasn't any official yes or no to fitting 4 at once.

·
Mini Gangster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm

So if i was to go and buy an aftermarket set of four and walk into my dealers and say - "oy mister, how much to fit these bad boys?" would he say "talk a walk you little dirt bag" or "yeah mate, for £300"?

·
Registered
79 Posts
brackets

I fitted aftermarket lights to my One 3 months ago, albeit it is now almost 3 years old, so warranty is not an issue for me.

I decided to buy the brackets from BMW ( £25 each) and then bought lights and a wiring harness from elsewhere. Rather than get them wired up to the BC as BMW would I scotch-clipped into the high beam wire under the bonnet and have run them off a relay included with the harness.

The whole lot cost me £85 and 2 hours of my time to fit them. The most difficult bit was deciphering the BMW line drawing instructions for the bracket fittment - the rest was quite easy. I stll have another pair of lights to add but at the moment have splashed out on a mini spacesaver spare as I have ditched OEM runflats, so time & cash are in short supply.

·
Life is not a Rehearsal
1,491 Posts
I have the New Mini Sport 4 Light Bar which mounts the light a little way forward of the bonnet and not noticed any problems with air flow. Whether BMW issued the warning as their lights are mounted straight on to the Grill I do not know, perhaps that may restrict the airflow :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts