MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am taking the delivery of my Mini Cooper in a day and found out that the dealer installs the after market alarm system on the car.

So i am wondering if anyone knows what alarm's can be hooked up to the Mini so that you do not have to carry another alarm thingie, and can use the key to do all the functions?

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
The MINI Alarm is available as dealer fit. It just comes with in a kit and will utilise the existing key/remote.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to myself... not good!

Here is what I found out.

Mini Alarm (Official) is nice but I can not see paying $400.00 for a noise maker.

On the other hand there are nice alarms out there (but with separate key fobs), the difference is that a for $400.00 you can get a Viper alarm with a pager, noise maker and so on.

After speaking to the alarm guys, I found out that you can still use the mini/open features if you install thye alarm. They can simply disable the open/close feature (or not install it) on the after market alarm. You will have to disarm the alarm from the key fob, but then you can use yoru minin keys as muh as you want.

·
1963 Mini -- 2004 MINI
51 Posts
Yuryg
I got my factory alarm for $295 from my dealer. It installs easily in about half an hour. The hardest part is getting the horn/tilt sensor wiring connector out from under the tape the factory wrap it with :mad:
Check this forum for other dealers that sell for less. BTW my dealer wanted $600 for the alarm installed. :mad: You still have to have the dealer activate it in the computer - they may charge you 1/2 hour labor.
Alan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
770 KOF said:
Yuryg
I got my factory alarm for $295 from my dealer. It installs easily in about half an hour. The hardest part is getting the horn/tilt sensor wiring connector out from under the tape the factory wrap it with :mad:
Check this forum for other dealers that sell for less. BTW my dealer wanted $600 for the alarm installed. :mad: You still have to have the dealer activate it in the computer - they may charge you 1/2 hour labor.
Alan
Well I found out that the $400 dealer alarm, is nothing more then a noisemaker, which as most of you know is totally useless. What I have done with the mini is augmented the system with a pager system only. $200 here in US.

The system is simple, comes with a shock sensor, and works off the lights, in the car (initerior lights). So either if someone breaks something, or the doors, boot , etc are opened a page goes out immediately to a pager that shows what was opened.

I figured this was much better in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts