MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my latest booked in repair 2007 cooper with around 90k on clock blue smokes after idle and blue smokes when rev'd hard enough all signs of the normal stem seals and piston ring issues , it also has code for jammed exhaust vanos intermittent so I need to look in to that when rebuilding it, as might be a number reasons I always fit new full chain kits on these so vanos sprockets will be brand new, while I have cam shafts out I will replace the oil rings in both end caps on camshafts with the latest spec soft type and check for wear, /will also pull out non return valves for vanos sprocket check and clean them, I looked over car found still has 2007 thermostat housing and water pump and plastic link pipe so all those will be replaced ,, as dont want any coolant leaks in future from them failing as many do, done live data run on it found that exhaust camshaft is not tracking its prescribed positions in keeping with the fault code I got for it, also the cat the 02 sensors are way away and tell tail sign cat is blocked with carbon residue from the smoking and oil use etc, I have the go ahead to fit cat and sensors as its so important to have it controlling the fuelling properly when rebuilt, i will add pics etc as i blow it apart and refresh it,

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pulled head off today and found a load of issues, the cat is totally burnt out and gone, the oil burning so bad two middle exhaust ports full of crud from it, the oil burning caused exhaust and cat to turn in to a furnace and melt the cat away, i've pulled head apart found all stem seals rock hard failed,, also inlet oil solenoid blocked and a cheap china timing chain fitted ,, all to be changed with genuine parts ,, and the normal oil housing leaking oil at front of engine
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Camera lens Gas Camera accessory Gear
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bores are really good 90k on clock so a hone and new better solid rings sets and new timing chain full kit and oil pump chain and all sprockets new head gasket and stem seals etc , plus all new stretch bolts etc will give this a lease of life again, I use elring for rubber seals found them to be very good fit nice and tight and i have many cars with over 50k after still not using excessive oil etc, these refreshes are a cost effective way forward, this car was more like a james bond aston martin of old with a smoke screen behind it and the cost of engine oil these days added then barely 45mpg at 50mph on a motorway on its way down from Manchester,,, when I pulled it apart i realised why the cat was totally burnt out missing , the inlet camshaft was not advancing correctly ,, even the spark plugs were brittle on the ends and fell apart from touch ,, one thing for sure when its fixed the owner will realise just how ill this little car was/is, so its needed a few extras like cat and both 02 sensors as most do with oil burning issues over time, plus it should have a new link pipe and water pump and possibly a new thermo housing as well will always give owners the option of fitting new ones while its apart as there is no extra labour costs as those parts are already off so makes sense in long term ,,

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
done another day on this one today, pulled all pistons and sump off honed bores cleaned and fitted new piston rings ,, i use 3 piece oil rings on these sorts out the oil uses for sure, also fitted new water pump and lapped valves on fitted new stem seals etc ready for head to go back on,, also have a new thermo housing to go on it and new plastic link pip[e from water pump to themro housing a must replace items when get this age, i also fitted new oil rings on both camshafts as one was broken and should be why there was a fault code for vanos jammed or intermittent etc, so I have fitted the latest spec rings from main dealers these are nylon plastic things must be fitted with plenty of oil and must not be stretched so I use a pick tool and be careful with them, also fitted new seals to oil filter housing as was leaking oil and coolant from them before ,
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Sports equipment Sports gear Font Ball Personal protective equipment
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Light

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Gear
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Household hardware Rim
Wood Silver Jewellery Body jewelry Font
Bicycle part Engineering Household hardware Gas Auto part

tomorrow I will finish off honing as got new fine stones coming to cut the 45 degrees lines ,, pic above is new oil rings on camshaft notice its lagged with engine builders grease you must do this to prevent them catching on first start up and breaking the new rings,, as engine heats up the nylon rings should soften and make a good seal in theory,, little heads up to anyone who strips these and finds the ring like this one is broken,, the little catch piece breaks away then enters the vanos sprocket,,,, and I have had them jam the vanos internally and cause a nightmare where car wont hold timing one minute then its fine then ist not as that piece of metal ring moves around in there, learnt my lesson and these days only fit full timing chain kits and fit new nylon rings at same time,, the guy in bmw main dealer must think i eat the bloody things last time I ordered 30 of them, and 5 link pipes ,, devil is in the detail

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yesterday and today i put engine back together had it running today for a good hour until fan kicks in and out ie 112c peak wait for it to cut back to 105c thermo totally open, at this point it gets a 3000 revs 20 minutes to break it in sets the relationship with the rings and bores etc, i reset adaptions before start and reset vanos timing set points as in pics can see using snap on diagnostics and can set the prescribed set points and this can now holds its timing bang in middle, when it came to me it had a vanos jammed code for inlet and was not timing correctly ,, i replaced the rings on camshafts with new nylon ones and like i always do replaced the vanos sprockets with genuine ones, this car had a cheapo china ebay timing chain kit in it not been done long ago but was miles out,,, honest anyone reading this that doing a timing kit on these do a full one and only fit genuine , i fit genuine via mpd they source from ultra parts and ultra source from psa not a cheap kit but by far best way forward, this car ran today for over 2 hours and zero smoke,, when it arrived it was cloud of smoke whether rev'd or left on idle etc,, so another one saved and running nicely , also in pics you will see the timing chain and both vvt hubs soaking in engine oil this must be done for a hour before fitting them otherwise can lock up after first start ,, i also leave spark plugs out and crank engine over at least 5 times to get oil up to the vanos system and around the bearing before trying to start them for first time,,, the oil rings are very thin and must be treated with care and loads of oil and engine builders grease is a good thing as well,
White Automotive tire Automotive lighting Black Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Packing materials Plastic Font Auto part
Automotive lighting Helmet Hood Fluid Liquid
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold
Automotive tire Tread Bumper Tire Floor
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive air manifold Auto part
Light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Technology
Computer Personal computer Output device Font Gadget

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all back together running really nicely now , fixed a couple of faults it had with vanos jammed fault code it arrived with and battery charging fault as sorted , also found header tank cap had a very slight leak of pressure and when they do this the engine back pedals the coolant from head to header tank ie header tank fills and send air to head this then causes steam if unchecked ,, out of 10 cars I see at least half will be like this and new cap fixes it ,, so can had been run for a number of hors and pushed to 112c temps and 20 minute breaking in at revs after warmed up and everything is ok etc and adaptions have been learnt etc, when this arrived it was very smokey and could not let idle for long before clouds of white/blue smoke it now has been running for a number of hour inside unit and zero smoke ,, another one saved from scrap heap lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts