MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, and thanks for opening my post. My daughter has a BMW 2012 mini diesel and her spare key has drained completely. She can take the blade out to open the door (Alarm blasts out), and then quickly insert the fob in to the ignition. The car starts first time. I took the car for a drive for about an hour but nevertheless, I still couldn't use the remote to operate the door locking.

I've googled many hours to find out what the solution is to recharge but have drawn a blank. I have tried the toothbrush (left it on charge for 2 days) and the mobile phone pad charger but with no luck.

I'm puzzled as to why I can't use the remote buttons to lock/unlock the doors but the car still starts when the fob is in the ignition?

Can anyone advise if the key can be recharged and if so how? If the key is deemed dead does this mean I have to go to BMW Mini for an expensive replacement?

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't know what's wrong with your fob but I can explain why it starts. The OK to start is obtained from a passive transponder in the fob which isn't connected to the rest of the fob circuitry. It doesn't need the battery to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it, understand thank you. Would an hour of driving be enough to recharge the dead battery or is it a case of, once it's dead it's dead?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, can't help you with that. I suspect it would though, so your fob is likely to be faulty in some way, or maybe the charger in the slot is faulty.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I hit this too.
The ignition charges the battery, but I suspect like you I tend to use one key, so the other goes dead.

I see you already tried to drive around for a while. It might come back to life doing that, sounds like in your case it may not.

It is possible to replace the battery, but involves cutting the key apart with an exacto knife, and soldering a new battery in. Annoying, but way cheaper than a new key.

here's some info:
Key Fix

Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent link Navwizard, parts and tools ordered.

Fingers crossed this works. Many thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
That alarm issue sounds infuriating. Things like that are why I'll always stay a first gen Mini owner. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts