MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My facelifted '05 model MINI Cooper is now about a week old. I live in South East London and have done about 70 miles so far.Mainly driving in town and some dual carriageway runs.Mine is CVT.My trip computer is showing 18-19 MPG,at times that even falls to 15.Is that what you would expect for an MC Automatic?

Does it get better with time and long drives?

I have seen that with longer runs the MPG does improve.

For a brand new car people often comment about small particles settling in the engine.Does it affect MPG?If that is the case,should the first service be earlier than those recommended by the dealership?

PS 107 miles on clock,and it's showing 19.8 MPG now

·
GTI Owner ! (mini sold)
398 Posts
Went on a nice long drive today to wincester and around basingstoke set off at 9 this morning and arrived back an hour ago. according to the on board computer i was doing 38.3mpg with the air-con on 2 and i was doing 70/80mph. my car is now almost half way run in with 568 on the clock, thats 555ish since tuesday :) :) Only bad point is all the dead files over the bonnet and wing mirrors! time to give it a clean I thinks!

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
techiedoc,

I would drive for a couple hundred more miles and see if the situation doesn't improve. My CVT had crap MPG when new, but significantly improved somewhere around 1000 - 1500 mi. I'm now getting about 30-34 MPG highway (aka motorway) and 24-26 MPG city.

-Paul!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul! said:
techiedoc,

I would drive for a couple hundred more miles and see if the situation doesn't improve. My CVT had crap MPG when new, but significantly improved somewhere around 1000 - 1500 mi. I'm now getting about 30-34 MPG highway (aka motorway) and 24-26 MPG city.

-Paul!
Thanks Paul.Your post sounds really heart warming.Any tips for better mileage?Unfortunately,I have been doing mainly city runs at the moment.
Regards. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Richard Harvey said:
Went on a nice long drive today to wincester and around basingstoke set off at 9 this morning and arrived back an hour ago. according to the on board computer i was doing 38.3mpg with the air-con on 2 and i was doing 70/80mph. my car is now almost half way run in with 568 on the clock, thats 555ish since tuesday :) :) Only bad point is all the dead files over the bonnet and wing mirrors! time to give it a clean I thinks!
Wow! More than 500 miles already! I have clocked up 125 miles only.I washed my MINI this morning.It was really hard work with all the stuff I had to use but very rewarding. :cool:

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
techiedoc said:
Thanks Paul.Your post sounds really heart warming.Any tips for better mileage?Unfortunately,I have been doing mainly city runs at the moment.
Regards. :)
Umm, stop doing city runs? :p :D When you can, get out on one of the motorways, reset the avg. MPG counter, and cruise for a bit. Your MPG should go up some. Other than that, I think that it's just a matter of breaking the car in. Other folks hopefully will chime in for better driving tips.

How far can you get on a full tank?

-Paul!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul! said:
Umm, stop doing city runs? :p :D When you can, get out on one of the motorways, reset the avg. MPG counter, and cruise for a bit. Your MPG should go up some. Other than that, I think that it's just a matter of breaking the car in. Other folks hopefully will chime in for better driving tips.

How far can you get on a full tank?

-Paul!
Thanks Paul.
My car is about a week old.I have not filled her yet but I have done 125 miles and the trip computer is showing that I need filling up ('Range' data) after another 139miles.

By the way,how do I reset the average MPG counter?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Richard Harvey said:
I washed mine too, yesterday. it looked lovery! took a couple of hours!
I used Zymol shampoo after a rinse and Meguiars Hot rims for the wheel.Played with the detailing brush a bit as well.Autoglym Glass polish was fine but not brilliant.What about you?

Is your MINI CVT or manual?

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
techiedoc said:
Thanks Paul.
My car is about a week old.I have not filled her yet but I have done 125 miles and the trip computer is showing that I need filling up ('Range' data) after another 139miles.

By the way,how do I reset the average MPG counter?

A week old and only 125 miles?! Your poor under-motored MINI!! :D

The avg. MPG counter can be reset by holding down the computer button until it resets. This can be done for all of the average modes.

-Paul!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can get any where between 275 to 400 miles on a tank of gas, it all just depends the traffic conditions.The OBC will show an average of 27MPG in the city, 34MPH on the highway, and 29MPH all around mixed driveing. Just give it alittle time and reset the Avg. MPG and Avg. Speed counters each time you fill up.

I would also recomind running Premium (91 to 94 Octain) for better mileages!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Average 26.7 MPG

Does and average of 26.7 MPG seem on the low side. My daily commute is city and highway -- and I've been using the AC pretty much daily. My mileage has been locked on 26.7 MPG since I got it the first of May -- even for highway only drives. Do you think that's low? Have 5,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
minni said:
Does and average of 26.7 MPG seem on the low side. My daily commute is city and highway -- and I've been using the AC pretty much daily. My mileage has been locked on 26.7 MPG since I got it the first of May -- even for highway only drives. Do you think that's low? Have 5,000 miles on it now.
Have you reset the counter since you've gotten the car?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have filled my car up with Optimax the other day and reset the OBC (as suggested by Paul here) and I am getting 22.7 mpg for city runs now.I guess the figure would improve once I take the car on to motorway for a bit of run.

·
Registered
176 Posts
minni said:
Like Mustang7302 said, be sure to reset the OBC mileage computation. Do that by holding down on the button you use to change the display function. You can reset the average speed the same way. My OBC usually underestimates my actual MPG. It's anywhere from ½ to 1 & ½ MPG better than the OBC shows. As for my experience, I get pretty much the same MPG with my CVT as you are, depending on how bad the D.C. traffic is. Good weeks I can get close to 30 with mostly commuting, other weeks it's more like 25 MPG. What frustrates me is our big moose Odyssey gets 20-22 in similar conditions, and it’s no dog on acceleration either. How the heck does Honda do that? I think I wish we had Honda v-tech engines in the Mini.

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
When I first got my CVT Cooper I got 27 mpg while taking it easy. Now I drive a little harder and get 26. This is in DC traffic and mostly freeway. If traffic flows all the time and I don't get caught in slow traffic, I get 27. But if I get caught in it once or twice on a tankful adding an hour to my commute I get 26. I'm happy with that. My 1998 Honda Civic EX coupe got 25 mpg at best (and less usually), and that was pure freeway driving. These small cars with small engines have a hard time anymore getting really good mileage, since they are much heavier than they were 10-15 years ago before they added steel beams in the doors and other stuff. The best car I've seen now for mileage is the Toyota Echo, which has a 1.5 liter engine with 108 hp, weighs 2035 lbs, and gets over 30 mpg in a mix, and 40 mpg or so in pure freeway. In comparison, the CVT MINI weighs 2365 lbs or so. Weight is the culprit keeping any small engined car from getting better mileage. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
After doing about 240 miles of urban driving and some dural carriageway runs I am now getting 28.2 MPG.The AC is always on! Time now for me to take my MC out to motorway to give it a good run! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
MINIRANDOLPH
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing