MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
vRS Veteran
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all... my first post! :redface:

My Mini Cooper D was ordered (hopefully) on 1st May - it's a Standard Cooper D in Red.

Reason why it's standard... well it's a lease car, meaning I have to pay for the extras out of my own pocket; then loose them at the end of the three year lease - and just to add salt to the wound they charge me tax on what I've added! :angry:

I'm a Skoda vRS convert... I've owned two vRS models; the Fabia (Yes the one that rollicked the Cooper on Top Gear) and more recently an Octavia Mk2; which I played with a little (235BHP - 270lbs/ft... NICE) ;)

Why am I here?
Skoda - despite their reputation for cheap cars - is slowly starting to get very expensive! :(

The 'Dooper' (Did I say that right?) was the cheapest and best option for me from the list of cars I could have picked.

I'm hoping the Mini will match the Fabia vRS that I owned before in terms of fun factor and driveability... at 130BHP and 230 lbs/ft of torque she's got some pretty big shoes to fill.... hope she's up to the task :)

Anyway... I um, did opt for one option... the fabled Sport Button :hmph:

Just a couple of questions and then I'll finish rambling...

Has anybody got the sport button? (what does it do/does it work?)
How long do we think I'll be waiting for my car... being that it's standard apart from the sport Button.
and finally... do I get that nifty Stop/Start thingy on a standard car :D

Cheers :smile:

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
Hi Robbo and welcome to Mini2.

The Sport button sharpens up responses to acceleration and steering, and I don't have one. So I don'r miss it!

Each car no matter how it's specced is built to order, and I'm guessing you'll wait a couple of months at least.

The stop/start is standard on all Cooper D's - it's not an option.

I expect your Mum is pleased that you'll no longer be driving around in such a hooligan of a car. She might even want you to drive her around in your new Mini, so beware - they attract all sorts of women.

·
vRS Veteran
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Robbo and welcome to Mini2.

The Sport button sharpens up responses to acceleration and steering, and I don't have one. So I don'r miss it!

Each car no matter how it's specced is built to order, and I'm guessing you'll wait a couple of months at least.

The stop/start is standard on all Cooper D's - it's not an option.

I expect your Mum is pleased that you'll no longer be driving around in such a hooligan of a car. She might even want you to drive her around in your new Mini, so beware - they attract all sorts of women.
I'm sure my mum would have loved to have had a go :)

Ah well... I was hoping I'd get lucky and get her faster than usual.

The Fabia wasn't a hooligan of a car when I had mine... they were still a Skoda Secret ;)

I'm just dreading the day I get overtaken by a kid with a back-to-front baseball cap driving one :(

·
Dooper Scooper
469 Posts
I've got the sport button, but I only specced it so I didn't have a blank button in the car!!

It's worthwhile getting tho, you can definitely feel the difference. But I just downshift to overtake anyway...

Welcome to the club! !

One of the guys has just bought a Octavia vRS diesel used and it is the balls. Haven't driven it yet but I expect it to be half decent!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry to say that the Sport button does not do much for me. The car itself it good enough to drive and does not need sharpening up at all.

I choose it to fill the empty spot as well I am afraid. It does make a noticeable difference, though. It is more than just a gimmick.

I feel that the Dooper is much more fun to drive than any other car I have owned. It feels sharp and together, so I do not think you will be disappointed compared to a VAG car

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got rid of my Seat Ibiza 130 Tdi, for a Cooper D.
The Cooper is much more fun to drive and the handling is fantastic but you will find the engine gutless compared to the VAG 130 Tdi.
I am finding I cannot overtake in places that would have been easily possible in the Seat.
Don't let this put you off, I am still pleased I bought the Cooper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Of course the next question is can the sport button be retro fitted?
Or can you buy the button to fill the space if you didn't spec it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got rid of my Seat Ibiza 130 Tdi, for a Cooper D.
The Cooper is much more fun to drive and the handling is fantastic but you will find the engine gutless compared to the VAG 130 Tdi.
I am finding I cannot overtake in places that would have been easily possible in the Seat.
Don't let this put you off, I am still pleased I bought the Cooper.
I'd agree with that. We also have a Passat TDi.
Secret with the CoopD i find is being in right gear before the overtake etc. Otherwise it's just flat with no power.

Enjoy your car.:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lol, it makes me laugh when people are disappointed that the Dooper isn't as fast as x or y, which are obvious performance machines.

Remember it's as economical as just about any 'normal' car out there at present. How many cars do 70 mpg and get under 10 secs 0-60, none I think.

Its got a nice turn of acceleration on the motorway if you need it.

0-60, lol, whats the point?. How many people still race from the lights to prove that they're a man (or a ladette?)

Driving like a grandad, recently I have been getting about 600 miles to a tank. In a non stop/start Dooper. ( I probably wouldn't believe someone else, but I've done it;)).

If you need something quicker get a bigger engined or a chipped car. Pretty obvious?!:puzzled:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep - the Dooper's unique selling point is wonderful economy, great roadholding coupled with effortless style and universal appeal to Princes and Paupers. If you want to blast past people, you need an S, not a D!

I agree the engine is lacking in power but between 1000 and 2000 rpm it leaves the VAG TDi engines for dead. The power delivery is so smooth, you can virtually drive it like a petrol car and keep it in as high a gear as possible.

The recent fuel shortages and outrageous hikes in prices have made many of my colleagues look longingly at my Dooper and I am sure it has bucked the downturn in residual values whilst doing its bit to keep the MINI brand as desirable as ever.

Now if they could just squeeze the diesel engine from the d3 and make a Dooper Works....:nice:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree, the engine is far more refined than the old VAG lump.
On paper the engine produces 260nm with over boost, in a small car that should make for brisk overtakes.
I'm no boy racer but spend a lot of my time off in NW Scotland. Overtaking power is important to me unless I want to spend ages following caravans for miles.
I have been looking into chipping, I reckon about another 30nm should do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My car is booked to be remapped by Will at P-Torque at the end of the month.

Only problem might be the stop-start system: he is concerned that the August 2007 onward builds may have a new tricore chip that may not be possible to remap at the moment. Will know for sure in the next couple of weeks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
My car is booked to be remapped by Will at P-Torque at the end of the month.

Only problem might be the stop-start system: he is concerned that the August 2007 onward builds may have a new tricore chip that may not be possible to remap at the moment. Will know for sure in the next couple of weeks!
I'd be very interested to hear how this pans out :)

sorry for thread hijack, carry on ^^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts