MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the BBC website, using the calculator on the business pages, the Road tax for the MCD will now be 35 pounds a year . All cars in band C upwards are increasing whereas band B is decreasing, Band A remains at nil.

Would it be merely speculating to say that this is likely to be the scenario for a number of years with cars over 120g/km likely to increase road tax with cars in Band B (such as the MCD) staying at 35 pounds (can't type the pound sterling sign:eek: ).

This can only increase the long term desirability of this model come resale time...:D

·
Registered
754 Posts
But you will be able to pay the money you saved from your income tax change, to pay your extra road tax and the increase in council tax, water, gas electric, telephone, interest changes on your mortgage and so on and so forth.

I don't think that there are any manufactures that make cars in band A anymore. There used to be one I think but that isn't made anymore, so whats the point of band A:puzzled:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my keyboard is all wrong, the SHIFT-3 key produces a # and the corresponding key produces a \.
Can't find the pound anywhere...Oh well its not costing me anything!

·
On a MINI adventure
266 Posts
But you will be able to pay the money you saved from your income tax change, to pay your extra road tax and the increase in council tax, water, gas electric, telephone, interest changes on your mortgage and so on and so forth.

I don't think that there are any manufactures that make cars in band A anymore. There used to be one I think but that isn't made anymore, so whats the point of band A:puzzled:
I suppose it gives manufacturers something to aspire to.

Really though, some cars aren't that far off - I believe some of the PSA groups cars with the 1.4 HDi are lingering just above the 100 CO2 point. The Toyota Aygo with it's 1.0 litre engine isn't far off either.

·
MINI2 newcomer
210 Posts
Yes my keyboard is all wrong, the SHIFT-3 key produces a # and the corresponding key produces a \.
At a guess you have the mapping set up incorrectly (on a US keyboard, for example, Shift-3 does produce a '#').
To change it, if you're using Windows (XP) then in the Control Panel choose Regional and Language Options; if you're using Mac OS X then in System Preferences choose the International pane and the Input Menu tab.

mmalc

·
Registered
127 Posts

i didn't think there was much of a change in income tax as the 10% band has been abolished? gordon brown is a complete joke, surely he is only penalising the poorer by removing the10% band - something that he originally brought in claming how good it was!

sorry getting a bit political there for a minute...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£££££ sorted £££££ thank you MMalc!
I feel a whole lot richer

Btw if you use the checker on the BBC and enter your income only, most people will find that they're a bit better off with the 20% and 10% rates taken into account.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Off topic, I know, but I can't believe it's taken until Feb 2007 for someone to think of taking the name Triffid :rolleyes: Well done! :D

Tigger.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Really though, some cars aren't that far off - I believe some of the PSA groups cars with the 1.4 HDi are lingering just above the 100 CO2 point. The Toyota Aygo with it's 1.0 litre engine isn't far off either.
The Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107 (basically all the same car) all have CO2 emission of 109g/km whether with the 1.0i petrol or 1.4 diesel engine.

Currently, the only car available in the UK with lower emissions is the Toyota Prius 1.5 Hybrid at 104g/km so, no, there aren't any cars (yet!) that qualify for Band A in either petrol or diesel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Tigger, 'Triffid' was a nickname at school....I went on a PGL adventure holiday in Shropshire I think many years ago and The Day of the Triffids series was on telly.. I remember being told that I spoke in my sleep... So one night I decided to stand on my top bunk bed and with eyes closed in a pretend trance I decided to scare the other 11 year olds. Outside the dorm through a big long sash window there was a big wide lawn. In the moonlight there was lots of dark spooky looking trees and strange silhouettes. I spoke in a sinsiter voice that triffids were shuffling along the lawn towards us... I think that there was a lot of frightened 11 year olds that night:aargh: .
The next night one of the girls in the adjoining dorm asked if I wanted to spend some time with them...chatting and stuff... I was 11..no funny business!. In the meantime the guys in my dorm managed to put a tree in my bed. I walked in the room, switched the light on as all the other boys were tucked up, was shouted at to turn the light off, climbed up my steps to the top bunk, got in the sheets, felt something weird, fell off the top bunk...screamed and then shouted in pain as I hit the carpet.
Everybody laughed till it hurt and I was then known as Triffid..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes!! thats right from 2008 it will be just £35 tax road and possible £0 on congestion charge if the mayor of london aproved the resolution on new charges depending of CO2.

That means the MINI Cooper D will be one of the most desirable cars for resale in 2 or 3 years time.

Vehicle excise duty £50 (this year) £35 (next year) £15 difference!

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
The new rates came into effect today. It's only the increase from £300 to £400 on Band G that comes into effect from 2008.

All the new rates can be found here on the DVLA website.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
morrisminiminor
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing