MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
At last i've finally been able to log in!! I've had problems logging on to this website for days!!
Anyway this is the problems I've been having with Doopy:frown: and it's copied from the thread I started on an another Mini website:

Loving it!!! Basic spec (pepper pack + MFSW) but it does all I need!!

But I have a few issues!!
1st one is one of the rear lights seems to have paint/adhesive type crap on it. Very hard to take a good pic of it, but I can assure you that you'd notice it if in front of it! Not much but about 1 cm in width- AG tar& glue won't shift it- neither will any elbow grease. Just noticed how swirly the rear lights are, only 20 miles on the clock!

2nd thing is a bit of thick paint under the rear bumper. Good pics of that.

3rd thing is driver's door car has a hole in it, quite deep as if a sharp screwdriver had dug a hole in it.

What do you guys think? I've only had it a few hours so if I was to do something about it I want to let them know straightaway.
Don't fancy taking back to the dealer as I'm scared they'd mess it up even more!

Since then, I brought it back to the dealer and she called me picky- cheeky mere! The rear lights issue is sorted but now swirled quite a bit...

I sent this letter to MINI customer services:

Here is the letter have I written, I have included bits and bobs that have been mentionned on here. It hasn't been sent yet (what is MINI GB's complaints email address please??!!) as I would like you fine people to check if all is ok or if I should add a few things!

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you as I have been extremely dissapointed with my first brand new Mini.
I picked it up on the 1st September 2008 from Stratstone Chesterfield. It is a Mini Cooper D in Pepper White registration YT58 TCJ. (If you can find the number such as ab01234 I recommend doing so, with the chassis number as your car may not yet be on the computer)
I signed the papers on the day and was very happy. A couple of hours later when I got home, I noticed a few things wrong which I think shouldn’t have happened on a new car.
I have attached a picture of each problem, the door card problem is by far the worse one.

1st problem is one of the rear lights seems to have paint/adhesive type product on it. Very hard to take a good picture of it, but I can assure you that you'd notice it if in front of it. It was about 1 cm in width- I went back to Stratstone Chesterfield and they did sort this out after the saleswoman told me how “picky” I was.

2nd problem is a bit of thick paint under the rear bumper. I have included a good picture of this.

3rd problem is as mentioned earlier, the driver's door car has a hole in it, quite deep as if a sharp screwdriver had dug a hole in it.

I wouldn’t have noticed it as when the door is shut you cannot see it.
The PDI should have picked up on those problems as the people involved in this have to spend a fair amount of time to inspect each vehicle. Or at least this is the theory. They clearly couldn’t have done their job properly, as the paint mark on the bumper would have been noticed if they’d have bent down a bit.
The outrageous thing is that as I went back to Stratstone Chesterfield yesterday, I spoke to the saleswoman who sold me this car and she called me picky (jokingly admittedly but nevertheless she thought this I am sure), and when looking at the door card said it wouldn’t be covered under guarantee, which I knew was the case as it isn’t faulty but the car should not been delivered with the imperfections mentioned above. These problems should have been sorted, this is a 58 plate car and only 2 days old and it should have not been given to me until it was fully checked over, and any problems that have risen SHOULD HAVE been sorted before I even saw it.

I trust you will deal with my complaint as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Kind regards,

Phoned them this morning and the chap was very very nice- He told me he'd get the matter resolved urgently which is great and will contact the dealer TODAY and ring me back today too. Well impressed if that goes according to plan.
The only cringe thing is that he's going to do something about the attitude of the saleswoman which is a bit cringe when I get back to Stratstone and have to face her. But she really does deserve it.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
I don't think you are being picky at all!!

I think most of us Mini owners know that we are paying more than an equivalant sized/spec'd cars from other manufacturers BUT are happy to do so as we like the Mini so much. With this inflated price tag though, I do believe its more than reasonable for us buyers to expect the car to be just about bloomin perfect when bought brand new. The Mini brand maraketing is geared towards and builds expectations, the dealerships trade heavily on the quailty of the Mini experience.

From my own experience and various posts like your own on here; it sadly seems that the Mini dealerships are falling somewhat short and deflating new owners at the 1st hurdle!! :frown:

PistonHeads Headlines

·
Registered
460 Posts
bit out of order calling you picky esp after forking out for a new car,

my mates tactic that always works is to get his phone out in the dealer and say im calling these people in the following order 1 mini uk 2 then trading standards works a treat everytime

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
that's poor service from the dealer :( my driver seat cover had a pluck in it which i only noticed when i got home after picking it up. I went back a couple of days later to show the dealer and they were extremely apologetic, ordered a new seat right away and booked me in for a courtesy car while it was being replaced. I would not see any of those three faults as being acceptable in a brand new car.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do genuinely think the worse thing was the attitude of the saleswoman. She truely didn't give a monkeys and more or less told me to get on with it...

·
Mull Fember
134 Posts
Love the Car!

You're not being picky at all, I had few small issues and it wasn't a problem getting them rectified.

As for the mark in the door panel, I would take a guess that the seat belt plug (the metal/plastic bit) has got caught between the seat and the door and left this mark. It happened to me a couple of months after getting the car.

Best of luck with the new car.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
02.44pm Well, another minor update guys. Just had a call from this saleswoman- She more or less asked me what mini customer services said. I told her and she said "Hmm I thought so". Whatever than meant. She then ended the conversation saying she'd double check with the service manager whether the door car could be changed but still said she didn't think so!! I can't believe it, and she hasn't apologised once.
03.07pm And another... Called again, said she'd had a word with the service manager and insists the middle bit of the doorcard cannot be replaced!! I mean for god's sake!! What is wrong with a new doorcard?????
I dont know wether to ring MINI customer services or not again.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
She must have got a phonecall from mini HQ telling here there'd been a complaint - i wouldn't believe the story about not being able to replace door cards for a second... they might have to back order them yes, but everything can be replaced...

When i got mine, MINI rang a couple of days later to ask how i had gotten on with the handover and the sales/service. So they do check as a matter of course on their salespeople's performance. I would ring MINI customer services back and say you are really not satisfied, you want the door card replaced. you should also mention the light... even though the adhesive's removed it's all scratched now. a new unit would be better

you have paid 15 grand or whatever on a brand spanking new car and you deserve a bit of respect and politeness!!

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
I'd give Customer Services another ring if I were you. Also now is the time to keep a record of events and things said, dates, phone calls etc, as it easy to forget at a later date if you need to recall events.
Get the rear light replaced as well, you will be always looking at it otherwise and nows the time to do it not later on :)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Tracie is right, note down EVERYTHING. Thats exactly what I did with the issues I faced with my Cooper D, came in handy when talking to customer services and letter writing :)

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The great news is that the manager phoned me 2 hours ago and said all would be done, next thursday!! (Funny what a call from MINI UK to the dealership can do!!!)
I should be happy, I kinda am of course but knowing that the dealership is incompetent- the thought of them yanking the doorcard out and a new one in again without causing further damage gives me nightmares!
Sometimes maybe things are best left well alone if you get me!

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Lets hope they do a good job on Thursday, I'm sure they will because know they know you will go straight to MINI UK and complain if they don't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
thewalshter

My concern would be the white paint on the bumper, has the vehicle been damaged during delivery and been repaired and painted. All paint work at the factory would be completed before any trims fitted.:frown::frown:

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's thick caked on paint- not drips you see.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My concern would be the white paint on the bumper, has the vehicle been damaged during delivery and been repaired and painted. All paint work at the factory would be completed before any trims fitted.:frown::frown:

This is actually a very good point - the presence of pantwork on the rear bumper indicates to me that this car has been damaged in transit and repaired. AFAIK all Minis destined for UK dealers end up going to Thorne where they are checked. If damage is found then Thorne has all the facilities to repair including a full bodyshop/paintshop.
The presence of white paint on th bumper is a strong indication that your car might have been repaired at Thorne. Faults in white paintwork are very difficult to check - I would go over the car in a well lit environment (fluorescent light is good as it highlights subtle differences)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm glad you are getting the car sorted. i really do think that times have changed with buying new cars it used to be the dealer was really intrested in you and your car but now i think that when they have got your money they dint give a toss!!! best thing you did was post on hear so all can see what rubbish after sales service you had( i bet it was diffrent when you ordered your car). i had major problems(posted on hear) and i also found that a call to mini HQ got all things put right.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is actually a very good point - the presence of pantwork on the rear bumper indicates to me that this car has been damaged in transit and repaired. AFAIK all Minis destined for UK dealers end up going to Thorne where they are checked. If damage is found then Thorne has all the facilities to repair including a full bodyshop/paintshop.
The presence of white paint on th bumper is a strong indication that your car might have been repaired at Thorne. Faults in white paintwork are very difficult to check - I would go over the car in a well lit environment (fluorescent light is good as it highlights subtle differences)
What could I do anyway if it had been re-painted? I have a friend with a paint thickness gauge and after measuring the bumper he is 100% sure the paint is original.:)

·
Registered
382 Posts
The great news is that the manager phoned me 2 hours ago and said all would be done, next thursday!! (Funny what a call from MINI UK to the dealership can do!!!)
I should be happy, I kinda am of course but knowing that the dealership is incompetent- the thought of them yanking the doorcard out and a new one in again without causing further damage gives me nightmares!
Sometimes maybe things are best left well alone if you get me!
Let me guess, Mark phoned you for "a little chat"?

Out of intrest, who is the sales woman who called you picky?

Send me a PM if you have any more problems, I have the number for the Sytner Group Customer Service Relations Manager, when she phones then stuff really does get done! :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts