MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry for the long list, I'm stressing about a Mini we bought private 2 weeks ago (11 Sep). Test drove it and nothing was apparent, no warning signs from what I could tell. Later that evening started the car and there's a slight erratic idle, around 1100-1300ish RPM maybe, 200-300 difference up and down at most. Plugged in an Carista OBD2 and got an engine fault code:

2B22 - Throttle Valve Actuator Pre-driver Check Bank.
Reset it by accident but it has since never come back.

Car seems to do the erratic idle on first start, when left for 4-6ish+ hours, for 10-30 seconds. Fine after driving a bit and doesn't happen at stops along the way.

Car also seems slightly "juddery" a little bit in low gears, low speed. Not too sure/concerned but on my mind.

Wife's been driving it to work, 15 miles a day for 5 days til 22nd September. She drove 7 miles to work in the morning. Just over halfway engine temperature warning light came on. She continued 2-3 miles to work. Checked coolant tank, empty.
I took some over, filled it way above max. As filling, it was emptying. Stopped filling and waited for it to stop draining. Stopped just below minimum after a while.
I checked codes again:
2B68 - Air Mass Flow Plausibility

Called RAC breakdown. He filled up coolant, guided us home. Filled up again to take to garage in the morning.

23rd September took to garage in the morning. Got a call later on saying it's a water pump issue and possibly might need to change the thermostat (housing?) as well. Not finished the job on it that day as busy.

24th September got it back, coolant pipe was cracked so they replaced that only. Asked about thermostat replacement as they mentioned it might need changing when on the phone, but told it didn't need it in the end. Drove home, still erratic idle at startup still. Window down driving, seems to be some noise under the hood, engine seems to be a bit loud when accelerating only. Like a buzzing/vibrating type noise, very noticeable when windows down. Parked home, checked some more codes.

2B68 still present. Not reset after it was fixed?

2F1A - Temperature Sensor?
Did the thermostat need changing then?

A559 - Power Supply Switched Off
Battery related when Googled. When bought I was told the battery was replaced by previous owner not long ago, related?

Any ideas where to even begin? Feels like so much going on. I checked oil levels and they're fine. Car at 86k, had an oil change at 85k before buying.

2008 base model Mini Cooper (not S) 1.6L Petrol

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, sorry for the long list, I'm stressing about a Mini we bought private 2 weeks ago (11 Sep). Test drove it and nothing was apparent, no warning signs from what I could tell. Later that evening started the car and there's a slight erratic idle, around 1100-1300ish RPM maybe, 200-300 difference up and down at most. Plugged in an Carista OBD2 and got an engine fault code:

2B22 - Throttle Valve Actuator Pre-driver Check Bank.
Reset it by accident but it has since never come back.

Car seems to do the erratic idle on first start, when left for 4-6ish+ hours, for 10-30 seconds. Fine after driving a bit and doesn't happen at stops along the way.

Car also seems slightly "juddery" a little bit in low gears, low speed. Not too sure/concerned but on my mind.

Wife's been driving it to work, 15 miles a day for 5 days til 22nd September. She drove 7 miles to work in the morning. Just over halfway engine temperature warning light came on. She continued 2-3 miles to work. Checked coolant tank, empty.
I took some over, filled it way above max. As filling, it was emptying. Stopped filling and waited for it to stop draining. Stopped just below minimum after a while.
I checked codes again:
2B68 - Air Mass Flow Plausibility

Called RAC breakdown. He filled up coolant, guided us home. Filled up again to take to garage in the morning.

23rd September took to garage in the morning. Got a call later on saying it's a water pump issue and possibly might need to change the thermostat (housing?) as well. Not finished the job on it that day as busy.

24th September got it back, coolant pipe was cracked so they replaced that only. Asked about thermostat replacement as they mentioned it might need changing when on the phone, but told it didn't need it in the end. Drove home, still erratic idle at startup still. Window down driving, seems to be some noise under the hood, engine seems to be a bit loud when accelerating only. Like a buzzing/vibrating type noise, very noticeable when windows down. Parked home, checked some more codes.

2B68 still present. Not reset after it was fixed?

2F1A - Temperature Sensor?
Did the thermostat need changing then?

A559 - Power Supply Switched Off
Battery related when Googled. When bought I was told the battery was replaced by previous owner not long ago, related?

Any ideas where to even begin? Feels like so much going on. I checked oil levels and they're fine. Car at 86k, had an oil change at 85k before buying.

2008 base model Mini Cooper (not S) 1.6L Petrol

Thanks.
The guy who replaced my thermostat on a 2010 Mini Cooper S said the the coolant sensor was included in the replacement thermostat. See my post - Mini Cooper Odd Behavior.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts