MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car (Mini Cooper 2008) is making a loud knocking noise at idle. The noise is not present when the engine is cold, but starts after a few minutes driving.

Here is a video of the noise:

The car has only driven 47 000 miles, works well and uses normal amounts of oil. The previous owner told me that the noise has been present the last two years.

I struggle to find out whats wrong, any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
would check the water pump coated pulley and drive belt first job, after that timing chain and tensioner, would do compression test and the oil pressure test see what got,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, we have the same car and we had exactly the same noise. In our case it was the friction wheel which acts on the drive belt to drive the water pump. The reason it's quiet when cold is that the friction wheel is disconnected. As the car warms up, the friction wheel moves against the belt and starts to spin the water pump pulley. We changed the friction wheel and all was quiet. Hope that helps.

Ralph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, we have the same car and we had exactly the same noise. In our case it was the friction wheel which acts on the drive belt to drive the water pump. The reason it's quiet when cold is that the friction wheel is disconnected. As the car warms up, the friction wheel moves against the belt and starts to spin the water pump pulley. We changed the friction wheel and all was quiet. Hope that helps.

Ralph
Thanks!

I have checked the drive belt, and it is very worn. I have ordered a new one, hopefully it will fix the noise. Will change the friction wheel as next step.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car (Mini Cooper 2008) is making a loud knocking noise at idle. The noise is not present when the engine is cold, but starts after a few minutes driving.

Here is a video of the noise:

The car has only driven 47 000 miles, works well and uses normal amounts of oil. The previous owner told me that the noise has been present the last two years.

I struggle to find out whats wrong, any thoughts? Thanks.
Hi, did the belt sort this out or did you need to fit a belt tensioner
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts