MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

First post here.

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper with 100K on the clock.

It recently wouldn’t start after a 20 minute drive, but was ticking over. The RAC diagnosed this as a dead battery so this was replaced with a new one (Halfrauds battery under warranty).

The new battery worked for a day or two, car died again. The new battery was then showing as unserviceable / dead.

Third battery obtained from HF, again under warranty but I paid £10 more for the ‘slightly better model’

Car has again cut out while driving, and wouldn’t even turn over to start. Battery showing full charge and alternator also showing to be perfectly healthy.

Having left the car a few hours, it started up first time - without having to be jumped or boosted.

Anyone got a set of next checks to run - having ruled out battery and alternator?

cheers
ontheneedle

·
Registered
994 Posts
Did the RAC do a load test on the battery and alternator?

If both have been tested the only other thing would be something is draining power maybe a short somewhere.

Might be worth fitting a battery isolator until you can trace the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the RAC do a load test on the battery and alternator?

If both have been tested the only other thing would be something is draining power maybe a short somewhere.

Might be worth fitting a battery isolator until you can trace the problem.
They did. Taking a look through some older posts I managed to find, and the cars old paperwork - I see a correlation around ignition barrels. I’m wondering if this cars ignition being changed has anything to do with it? Particularly the lack of even a click when the battery was fully charged.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would have said starter motor but you are not getting the common faulty click from it.

Try checking the the ground wires and locations are clean and tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem (albeit without the dead battery problem) on a Range Rover. It would cut out and then not start, or simply not start after being switched off and then had to wait for an hour or more. The problem was a faulty camshaft sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar challenge with my r50 The one time we even put in a new battery and it drained within minutes. We later realised two problems
  1. A short circuit where the metal heat protection plates came into contact with the starter and wiring
  2. The earth terminals were not tight enough. So it was an earthing problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts