MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

My cooper S is sounding a bit rough, there's a couple of weird sounds coming from the engine at idle. All sounds seem to be coming from the same side.

I've posted a video to show the sounds but as I'm a new member on here, it wont let me post it :serious: any idea how i can share the link?

Also the engine sometimes sounds like a tractor under heavy load/acceleration, but its probably to related to the same issue.

The car has done 120,000 miles and never misses a beat. Even with these sounds, there is absolutely no loss of performance, but just wondered if anyone has any ideas and if I should be worried about it?

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
What side of the car is it ? left or right ? get a long handle screw driver, place it on the engine and place the handle against your ear, move the tip of the screw driver around and listen. If its the right side of the engine, consider timing chain and or tensioner. With it being an S, is the ticking coming from around the super charger ? I would certainly have it looked at by a competent mechanic, pref one that knows Gen1 Mini's. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

Here's a link to the sound if it works...

youtube.com/watch?v=WlEjEM1xdEQ

The sounds are mainly coming from the drivers side (RHD), yes there is a ticking coming from around the supercharger too, I hope the supercharger's not on it's way out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
benmandv
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing