MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a '59 plate R56 cooper. I've been loosing some coolant occasionally and now it's getting worse, so about 1/2 litre every couple of days now. I've been topping it up to make sure it doesn't overheat, but I can't seem to find where it's leaking from.

I've put my hand over the bottom of the thermostat sensor housing and can't feel anything damp there.

But, if I look underneath the car, there is a square bit of metal at the bottom and this is wet, with the colour of the coolant. Any ideas on where to go to look ?

I've added a couple of pictures of the bit I can find that is wet.

Thanks,
Roy.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Hi there,

I have a '59 plate R56 cooper. I've been loosing some coolant occasionally and now it's getting worse, so about 1/2 litre every couple of days now. I've been topping it up to make sure it doesn't overheat, but I can't seem to find where it's leaking from.

I've put my hand over the bottom of the thermostat sensor housing and can't feel anything damp there.

But, if I look underneath the car, there is a square bit of metal at the bottom and this is wet, with the colour of the coolant. Any ideas on where to go to look ?

I've added a couple of pictures of the bit I can find that is wet.

Thanks,
Roy.
common thermostat temp sensor to leak with age, or maybe the pipes to heater matrix ir back to bulk head, also there is a rubber O-ring that sits between the thermostat housing to cylinder head,, also very common is the pipe that runs from water pump behind the engine to the thermostat housing this is plastic and has a rubber o-ring very common the leag with age s rubber goes hard and cracks, right pain in arse to sort will need to thermostat housing removing, common fix new o-ring and high temp sealer added,, to see if its the bypass pipe at rear of engine need to get under car look up at it should see the wet coming from it,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't feel any liquid on any of the coolant rubber pipes that I can see. But, right at the back of the engine bay, there was a connection where 2 metal pipes seemed to meet. This was above 2 rubber pipes from the thermostat housing. This was wet, but it just seemed like water and not coloured like coolant ?

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Metal pipes are probably AC and yes, they will feel wet if AC has been running. As said above the thermostat housing (thing that looks like an octopus) tends to leak, it usually leaves puddles on the top of the gearbox housing between the ribs. Other problem part for leaks is the water pump itself, situated in a very awkward place to the left of the crank shaft hub. It is possible to change it out without removing engine mountings, etc but tight fit. Keep searching, you'll find the leak eventually but you may need to put it on axle stands or a ramp to get right under there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts