MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I am hoping that someone can help.
I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S and I have had this at the mechanic twice ($800 so far)
The car is running as though it is not firing on all cylinders, there is a lag when putting my foot down and the car also smells hot.
When the car is turned off the fan will still run for about 10 mins.
This is an intermittent issue it either starts off like this in the morning or it is running perfectly and then 15 mins later all of a sudden starts to run rough and there is a hot smell as well.
The car is not throwing up any faults other than temperature.
The mechanic so far has changed all of the spark plugs, changed oil, changed one coil and changed a slow leaking pipe from the coolant expansion tank.
I am annoyed and want to find another mechanic now.
Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be>
Thank you all
Phil B

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
you say its been scanned with what scan tool not all scan tools will see P-codes and going by what he has already blindly changed i would suspect he has done no live data runs and prob not seen the real codes due to lack of scan tool,
these cars will throw the fans on if have fault code in ecu, they also have a weakness of the thermostat housings and this can throw fan on and make car run wrongly ,, you say about slow water leak was this from the thermostat housing plugs if so have seen damage to wiring harness and once again throws fan on ,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All
I am hoping that someone can help.
I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S and I have had this at the mechanic twice ($800 so far)
The car is running as though it is not firing on all cylinders, there is a lag when putting my foot down and the car also smells hot.
When the car is turned off the fan will still run for about 10 mins.
This is an intermittent issue it either starts off like this in the morning or it is running perfectly and then 15 mins later all of a sudden starts to run rough and there is a hot smell as well.
The car is not throwing up any faults other than temperature.
The mechanic so far has changed all of the spark plugs, changed oil, changed one coil and changed a slow leaking pipe from the coolant expansion tank.
I am annoyed and want to find another mechanic now.
Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be>
Thank you all
Phil B
have someone check the thermostat and pressure test the vehicle. I had a similar issue see my post Mini Cooper Odd Behavior

1 - 4 of 4 Posts