MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Let's Motor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

This is my first time on this site and im planning on purchasing a mini cooper s as my first car. But im 15 and i might not get it til im either 16 or 17. But im still very interested in getting one. I just want to knoe sum pros and cons of the car.

Heres a list of the things i will get on her:

Mini Cooper S

Destination & Handling

Hyper Blue

White Roof

White Bonnet Stripes

Heated Mirrors & Washer Jets

Sport Suspension Plus

Dynamic Stability Control

Front Fog Lamps

Xenon Lamps with Power Wash

Sport Seats

Heated Front Seats

Leather in Black

Interior Surface Hyper Blue

Park Distance Control

On Board Computer

Leather Cruise with Multi-Function Wheel

6-Speaker AM/FM CD Player

Driving Lamps

Silver R90 17 Inch Mesh Wheels

** This is priced at about $ 2,600 USD ( Excluding the body kit)

** Also should i get the euro full body kit by mini, or would u guys recommend a better and different ones that would support the front fog lamps. Also around the same price range as the eiuro kit by mini ( $1,500) **

- Mark Anthony Valentine

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
welcome to mini2

i suggest just study hard and dont worry too much about your first car.. i remember last year i was in the same boat as you... but i didnt even spec out my car until 2 days before my parents told me 'lets go car shopping'

so i suggest just stay in school! dont worry too much about a car you are likely going to get in 2-3 years

now.. getting to the question at hand

you do not need pdc.. i've yet to crash into anything.. mini's so ridiculously easy to park is a sin to get pdc

leather wears faster.. get leathette.. wears better, and rejects stains

otherwise... go with whatever you want... remember 2-3 years from now the new engine is in and things could be very different then as well

·
Let's Motor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks, i am already enrolled in driving school so i'll more than likely get my permit buy dec. or jan. cuz im vacation until jan. Also yeah i'll more than likely remove the PDC. Also i'll remember about the leathette. Yeah im pretty much staying in school and paying attention. So by next year of sept i'll be about 16 and a half, since i was born in march.

Thanks for all the info. Also which body kit would be better for 1,500 USD

-Valentine

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
Just my opinion here mate but a MCS as a first car could be a bit over the top. Why not buy an old mini to start or some other sort of old banger to learn in. I know I would have loved a MCS as a first car but I really would suggest you find your feet in something else to start, purely due to inexperience behind the wheel and its not even what you drive like its every other prat on the road you need to be careful of.

Buy an old banger, drive it for a year then get a MCS. Just my 2 cents mate :)

·
Let's Motor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the MCS would be a good car as my first car, cuz i do knoe how to drive. Well i drove a expedition, jeep, silverado, and a astro van. I dont think there would be a difference, the only thing would be the height.

-Valentine

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
ok so your 15, how long have you been driving?

·
Let's Motor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont drive on main streets or anything, i drive like around the neighbor hood or at parking lots and stuff. I have been doing that since i barely turned 15 back in march. So would u guys say a MCS would be a good car for me to start off with? And where can i get a info book on the new MCS instead of the minusa.com MCS info.

-valentine

·
Registered
7 Posts
No offense, but I do not think the MCS is a good first car. Too much power in inexperienced hands is a recipe for disaster. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tore up the clutch on my first car

It's fantastic to get the car you want as your first car. But, everyone does damage to their first car, learning how to drive seems easy, knowing how to drive is something VERY different. You learn new skills with every car you drive and every driving situation you are in. Get a cool car, but get something you can learn the subtle stuff in without hurting yourself or anybody else. Betcha everyone here has your best interests at heart. :bad:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with all these old timers! I wanted a cool first car and got a 10 year old BMW 520i. I clipped it and scraped it and god knows what else, because when you are new to driving you think you know everything about driving, but unfortunately that is not entirely true. Scratching up the side of a 10 yr old beemer is not the end of the world (although it felt like it at the time!), but when/if you make a mistake in a new Mini it will be much more expensive to repair. Also, having a quite fast car as your first may not be the best idea either. Its totally your call on this one, but you are still young and have years of driving ahead of you. Try not to run before you can walk.

NB: I'm only 23, and if someone told me this when I was your age I probably would have told them to go :bad::bad::bad::bad: themselves! It will only be when you get a bit older that you will realize what sincere and honest advice this is.

·
Let's Motor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So would it be wise to just buy a older mini cooper. Where its still the smaller matchbox car size one? And wouldnt it be hard to damage a MCS if its so small?

-valentine

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
adamlondon said:
NB: I'm only 23, and if someone told me this when I was your age I probably would have told them to go :bad::bad::bad::bad: themselves! It will only be when you get a bit older that you will realize what sincere and honest advice this is.
Just 21 here, so same goes for me...

I did a lot of beating on my parents cars before I got my own car. Mine was new, but it was a big, slow, hefty SUV that forced me to learn how to park properly and watch where I was going. Happy to say it was sold in pristine condition.

If at the end of this thread you're still desperate for a MINI (understandably so ;) ) and have the means to get one, I'd suggest a 2003 or so Cooper. You'll save quite a bit over the S, and with the 05 facelifts out now, there seem to be quite a few 03s showing up for sale. The Cooper has all the handling of the S, but a little less power. After a few years, once you're done with the Cooper, upgrade to the MCS :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mini Kid said:
And wouldnt it be hard to damage a MCS if its so small?
Lol, not exactly. :) While it is easier to know where the corners of the Mini are say as compared to an SUV, it's still easy to hit something if you're not careful. Honestly I'd be more concerned about the very fast steering response as the bigger issue for first time drivers. Reaction times for new drivers (sorry to generalize) tend to cause them to overcompensate in a risky situation. The steering of the Mini can get you into trouble if you're not careful.

(Just my $0.02 - as an "old fart" at 40, I have been thinking about what my daughter will learn to drive in and the Mini is not going to be her first car.)

·
Jay
737 Posts
Im 15 too... and Ive planned my 1st car, an Old Mini, 1980s one, mayfair, park lane etc, under £1000!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mini Kid said:
So would it be wise to just buy a older mini cooper. Where its still the smaller matchbox car size one? And wouldnt it be hard to damage a MCS if its so small?

-valentine
Its not the size of the mini that is the problem-- its the power and response that will get you into trouble.

Im 22 and have been driving 5 years -- i started of with a one litre banger, then got a 1.2, and two 1.4 litre cars before getting my s. It has taken a good few months to get used to the extra power...i would not have been able to handle this car as a learner-- and i have been track racing since i was 13. You will go to quick and not know how a car handles at speed---you need to learn this in slower cars that give you more time to think out and correct mistakes

·
Let's Motor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for all the help, so im more than likely im just gunna get a old skool mini like that one guy said a 80's or 90's version as my first car.

-valentine

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mini Kid

I would not get an "old school Mini", if u crash in that one u will probably get very hurt! It is a very small car and safety is pretty poor! The new MINI is much better when it comes to safety. So I would get a used MINI Cooper or some other car that is safe. IF u get into a terrible crash u will at least be alive after it then.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts