MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
Im lucky to own a R56 S with the N14 engine.
Currently im looking to get an ECU Tune
Im running a dp decat full straight pipe, K&N panel filter an Airtec IC , NGK spark plugs. Soon i ll buy the BOV which will probably be a Forge one.
I wanted to ask you about the Tune
What parameters should be taken care of in order for the car to work properly and without problems..?
For example : Should the thermostat temperature be lowered?
What else should i be aware of?

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
876 Posts
If your putting all that on it. You might want to get one of these to get the big power. I'm actually thinking about putting this back on mine after I get a R 55+ inch catalytic convertor, as to not throw a engine light.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Hello everyone
Im lucky to own a R56 S with the N14 engine.
Currently im looking to get an ECU Tune
Im running a dp decat full straight pipe, K&N panel filter an Airtec IC , NGK spark plugs. Soon i ll buy the BOV which will probably be a Forge one.
I wanted to ask you about the Tune
What parameters should be taken care of in order for the car to work properly and without problems..?
For example : Should the thermostat temperature be lowered?
What else should i be aware of?
when cat is removed ecu needs remapping and down stream 02 sensor needs writing out of ecu and all fueling trim done be the upstream 02 sensor thats first off, adding power to these engines there is a limit where they will bend conrods ,, 230bhp at crank or around 210bhp at wheels is fairly safe,, will say as with any remap the driving style must change ie cant drive them low high torque revs as much as can bend rods and knock out crank,, needs to be reving over 2k all the time in revy gears to help it,,
must ensure before rolling road time ie best way to have remapped in my book to have clean air filter also have good petrol high octane you can get in your country,, in uk we have shell V power 98ron these engines need high octane fuel best , yes there is a updated thermostat housing runs 105c the oil ones were 112c and to hot,,
if like someone has said if you want big power that comes with big money needs forging, hybrid turbo different coils to take iridium plugs , 280bhp ish is there put gearbox and clutch will hurt for it, also fitting a sport cat with lower amount of metals in it you will still need the cat files removed from ecu as will flag up efficiency eml fault codes after a few miles. also will add if the remap is not done correctly and i have seen people melt them down through fueling them wrong at top of the rev band ,, having someone who knows what they are doing is a must

Reactions: ntfR56

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when cat is removed ecu needs remapping and down stream 02 sensor needs writing out of ecu and all fueling trim done be the upstream 02 sensor thats first off, adding power to these engines there is a limit where they will bend conrods ,, 230bhp at crank or around 210bhp at wheels is fairly safe,, will say as with any remap the driving style must change ie cant drive them low high torque revs as much as can bend rods and knock out crank,, needs to be reving over 2k all the time in revy gears to help it,,
must ensure before rolling road time ie best way to have remapped in my book to have clean air filter also have good petrol high octane you can get in your country,, in uk we have shell V power 98ron these engines need high octane fuel best , yes there is a updated thermostat housing runs 105c the oil ones were 112c and to hot,,
if like someone has said if you want big power that comes with big money needs forging, hybrid turbo different coils to take iridium plugs , 280bhp ish is there put gearbox and clutch will hurt for it, also fitting a sport cat with lower amount of metals in it you will still need the cat files removed from ecu as will flag up efficiency eml fault codes after a few miles. also will add if the remap is not done correctly and i have seen people melt them down through fueling them wrong at top of the rev band ,, having someone who knows what they are doing is a must
Thank you mate for all the advice you are correct at everything
Im not going for big power just yet i actually dont even look at the numbers i just want a car that runs correctly without problems and just a bit faster than stock.
Im just curious if any SPECIFIC parameters should be taken care of during the Ecu Tuning. I will definitely tell the Tuner to afjust the thermostat temperatures and to erase any faults from the decat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your putting all that on it. You might want to get one of these to get the big power. I'm actually thinking about putting this back on mine after I get a R 55+ inch catalytic convertor, as to not throw a engine light.
I had thought about it but i wont buy it just yet maybe later. But its on my to do list so thank you for mentioning it.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Thank you mate for all the advice you are correct at everything
Im not going for big power just yet i actually dont even look at the numbers i just want a car that runs correctly without problems and just a bit faster than stock.
Im just curious if any SPECIFIC parameters should be taken care of during the Ecu Tuning. I will definitely tell the Tuner to afjust the thermostat temperatures and to erase any faults from the decat.
you cant map the engine temps its fixed, what mini has done is alter the thermostat housing so get a 105c running temp rather than the 112c they started off with back in 2007,, the prince engines won loads of awards over a number of years for emissions targets in beginning and ran the engine extra hot to do this, bi-product is a engine that runs very hot and very lean as well right on knife edge of going bang in my book hence why valve stem seals dont do well past 80,000 miles and the silly oil consumption as well ie engine oil ie 5/30w fully syn,, the 5 figure is set at 100c when oil is graded, the 30w is set at 0c trouble is as oil get outer it thins more and causes all kinds of issues from oil lights to engine failures and oil use etc,,, engine oil is at its most stable around 90c 10 degree under boiling point of water,,
this all said would need to fit latest spec thermo housing link below for one ,
genuine housing from a good seller

1 - 6 of 6 Posts