MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Anyone knows what’s the cause of the knocking rattle sound?
Link provided here : —> -

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
would check the water pump pully it has a rubber coating on it when this fails it sounds like engine is knocking ,, that my first place to check,, after that the jockey wheel for water pump failure,, if non of those then timing chain maybe top guide snapped off,, would also push clutch pedal in engine running is knock changes then dmf or thrust bearing or gearbox

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
would check the water pump pully it has a rubber coating on it when this fails it sounds like engine is knocking ,, that my first place to check,, after that the jockey wheel for water pump failure,, if non of those then timing chain maybe top guide snapped off,, would also push clutch pedal in engine running is knock changes then dmf or thrust bearing or gearbox
Thanks for the reply mate.
I’m having an automatic gearbox.
I tried slow revved it to about 2500 rpm stationary and there’s no changes in rattle and sounds normal.
Went for a drive and tried flooring the gas and it picks up as per usual as well and it’s pretty smooth.
The sound only seems to appear during idle and it doesn’t get louder or worsen as rpm increases

1 - 3 of 3 Posts