MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my mini r56 is mapped so looking for the best spark plug choice available to me in the uk. I no allot of spark plugs do not agree with these engines.
Any help appreciated.
Andrew

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
below plugs
Screenshot (96).png

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Depending how far your car has been mapped, the tuner should've recommended suitable spark plugs for your situation.

If it hasn't been tuned too much you might not need different ones from your OE spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
469 Posts
Here's my offerings it's a turbo race style spark plug
I would not only gap them to my application. I would also mark them on the porcelain above where the center electrode is exposed and not shielded by the ground electrode. setting all the sparkplugs in that uniform fashion clocked toward the exhaust valves.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Depending how far your car has been mapped, the tuner should've recommended suitable spark plugs for your situation.

If it hasn't been tuned too much you might not need different ones from your OE spark plugs.

fitting harder plugs need better coil packs on n14 engines , i have mapped hundreds of these things and all stock plugs work fine on a normal 30% lift in power from map. even on forged cars and hybrid the plats are strong anyway,, iridium are used on later engines as have better coils it is said, or can get better coils for n14 around £500 the set

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered these they will be ok wont they. Got a good price.
Bosch Set of 4 Iridium Spark Plugs
Technical Specification
Electrode Gap [mm]: 0.7
Tightening Torque [Nm]: 23
Tightening angle [degrees]: 90
Outer thread [mm]: 12 mm
Thread Pitch [mm]: 1.25
Thread Length [mm]: 26.5
Spanner Size: 14
Spark Position [mm]: 5
Number
£29.95 uk

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
469 Posts
Bosch are pretty standard although I am getting hip to the idea that iridium is being steering clear of. I gonna be trying different things these year. Those copper electrode plugs I listed is one of them. But in the general sense to go with a platinum premium plug and not a Platinum iridium plug. I have been doing some research after this and it has been coming up Premium NGK on the top of the list of options off hand. They have tons of different options and a place like
Has exactly everything. The key is to either call there service support line. or know your part number as it will most likely not be listed. It's almost like engine goals! what do you want in a sparkplug and finding it from there. Do you want it to be a degree colder; what do you want out of that four ground electrode prongs.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just ordered these they will be ok wont they. Got a good price.
Bosch Set of 4 Iridium Spark Plugs
Technical Specification
Electrode Gap [mm]: 0.7
Tightening Torque [Nm]: 23
Tightening angle [degrees]: 90
Outer thread [mm]: 12 mm
Thread Pitch [mm]: 1.25
Thread Length [mm]: 26.5
Spanner Size: 14
Spark Position [mm]: 5
Number
£29.95 uk
Should be fine for lightly tuned cars as the recommended NGK are also Iridium but the pre gap is 0.6mm.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
below is autodata for correct plugs platinum PLZKBR7A-G for all n14 engines as like i keep saying to people the iridium plugs are to hard for factory coil packs
Screenshot (97).png

below pics if for n18 engines ie after 2010 different coils beru plugs
Screenshot (97).png
Screenshot (98).png

link for such plugs this points out the differences between old and newer prince engines ,,
when people forge these engines and add better coil packs they also use the harder iridium plugs what has happened online people read past the facts of this and they say they have fitted harder plug to their stock or non upgraded engines like its the correct thing, the guy i use for high pressure pump rebuilds and he really knows these engines and systems i made this mistake once and ended up having strange misfires and petrol being collected in the breather can ,, thought was hi pump repair and when told home what plugs running he said pull them out to hard for those factory coils ,, done this and the car cleared it self was deffo the issue random misfires that dumped fuel past rings and catch can collected it,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts