MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini Cooper S Roadster issues

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
As a relatively new owner of a roadster there are a couple of issues that I'd like to get advice on.

1. When I drive with the roof down and go over a bump I find that the roof lifts and clatters back down and the sound comes from the passenger side. This seems to be because it locks down on the driver's side only. Should it be locking down on both sides or is the locking mechanism on one side only?

2. I'm happy with the overall roadholding and suspension but find that the car does seem to tramline badly on bad roads. From what I hear and read in reviews this is a standard feature of the car but I'm wondering if there is any brand of tyre that helps to minimise this effect. My tyre size is
205/45/R17 and it's currently wearing Bridgestone Potenza tyres. I should say that outright roadholding and cornering on the limit is not my highest priority; I'd trade it for a wee bit more control on bad roads.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies guys. Yes, mine is the roadster with the semi-automatic roof mechanism and on looking closer it looks like it doesn't lock anywhere when it's down. Maybe it's an adjustment problem. I guess a visit to the dealer is necessary.
As regards the tramlining I agree that it's part of the handling charm of the car, which I enjoy, most of the time. Unfortunately the roads where I live are in poor condition and the car hops and skitters and follows the contours of the road in a way that means you don't always feel totally in control. Fine when you're "up for it" but if you're just pootling it can be a bit wearing. I think I read somewhere that Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres work well on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.