MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd get some input, I haven't driven the Mini yet but cars are due to arrive at my dealer March 22. I am trying to decide between Mini Cooper S and VW GTI VR6. I am 6'1" tall and am worried about headroom and interior space in the Mini. Both cars are about same price, any comments?

Thanks,
:confused:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Get a Cooper S :)
enough said :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
weimdog said:
Just thought I'd get some input, I haven't driven the Mini yet but cars are due to arrive at my dealer March 22. I am trying to decide between Mini Cooper S and VW GTI VR6. I am 6'1" tall and am worried about headroom and interior space in the Mini. Both cars are about same price, any comments?Thanks,:confused:
Welcome to MINI2! First off, if you even think you want a Cooper S put a refundable deposit down now. Hopefully you've already done this. :)

Regarding the MINI's interior room, there are numerous reports of people up to 6'6" and taller sitting very comfortably in the front seats of a MINI. Just use the search function and look for 'headroom' to read the first hand accounts. :) Just like with the classic Mini, small on the outside does not necessarily mean small on the inside. :p

As a former VW GTI owner, my thoughts are that nice as they are, they really are just a sporty Golf. A MINI is something entirely different and I have no doubts that a Cooper S will easily kick the GTI's VR6 butt in a head to head comparison.

But so far no one in the public or press has driven a Cooper S yet. However, make sure to check back on this site in about more 8 days and you'll be able to read the first Cooper S driving review reports anywhere. :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
I own a 2000 Jetta VR6.

If you're going to stay stock, it should be pretty easy to figure out which car to get. The VR6 is a heavy lump and the suspension (even VW's sport suspension) still is very soft. The Cooper S on the other hand should be quite a bit better handling stock to stock. So softly sprung ride comfort and a nice V6, or a more stiffly sprung supercharged 4.

On the other hand, if you're going to get the GTI VR6 and then get say H&R Coilovers, Neuspeed Sway Bars, and the like then it become a little more difficult.

I'll be returning my Jetta to stock and selling it to get my Cooper S. I really want a better handling car that isn't so nose heavy.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Depending on what you believe about the MINI's weight, the S should be between 300 and 500 pounds lighter than the VW. I'd get the S on that basis alone.
I'm 6'4", and was very comfy sitting in a Cooper. No worries, as far as head- and leg-room are concerned. If you really need to haul four people and their stuff, the VW might be the better way to go, but I think I'd make my three friends suffer in the MINI, so I wouldn't have to drive the porky people's car.

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I find it hard to believe, that the supercharged version of a car that has received as many accolades as the Cooper could be a "dog".

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also find it hard to believe his buddy at R&T actually drove a 'S'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks All!

Thanks for all of your input. I am a frequent visitor @ VWVortex and didn't notice the thread there, thanks for the tip. I guess until I actually drive the 2 cars side by side, which I'll be able to do, since the VW and the Mini dealerships are next door to each other, it's wait and see.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
808 Posts
That thread on Vortex is getting pretty funny. Some guy just posted this:

Nevermind. I don't think I want the MINI after all. I need something more liveable. Something just as fun, but also a little less extroverted. Something "semi-special" like a 337 would do nicely. We'll be able to get MINIs all day long (in about a year) and there will be plenty of non-enthusiast people buying the MINI. Sure, some hard-core car-nuts and serious drivers will get them, but they'll also be sold to women who find it "adoreable" and to the liberal intelligencia mid-lifers who find the PT Cruiser and New Beetle to be such "a hoot". The MINI could be driven by Neon owners or the chicks who choose it over a VW Cabriolet. The Cooper S may be more geared to drivers, but it'll still fall into the hands of non-enthusiasts with extra money to burn.
With the 337 - you know you're dealing with an auto enthusiast car. It'll be better for daily driving and it'll haul luggage and groceries and allow me to take stuff like TV sets to the repair shops. It's also a better long-distance car. If you see someone driving a 337, you'll know he's a "guy" who likes to drive. The only downside I can think of with the 337 is that it's demographic is a little "punkish". It may appeal to the "Fast & The Furious Crowd" -- those moving to VW after wrecking their slammed Civics. Oh well.

Besides, I already have a great back country road car. I need a daily driver with TORQUE. Hard to improve on an E30 M3 for cornering through the twisties. No need to have two tools that work on essentially the same task.

Decision made .... for now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chicks and Rice Burner Crowd?

What do you guys think about the cars attraction to the gals? It would be a shame if the Mini went the way of the New Beetle.

I also hoping the rice-burner crowd don't latch on to the Mini, that would definitely keep me away from the car.

·
Registered
416 Posts
337 was the internal code used by VW for the original A1 GTI (kind of like how the current 911 is the 996). So the 337 designator is suppose to mine some of that heritage.

Basically in this case, the 337 is a prettied up GTI 1.8T (still 180 hp, but with the 6-speed that's also in the New Beetle Turbo S).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Re: Chicks and Rice Burner Crowd?

weimdog said:
What do you guys think about the cars attraction to the gals? It would be a shame if the Mini went the way of the New Beetle.

I also hoping the rice-burner crowd don't latch on to the Mini, that would definitely keep me away from the car.

Rest assured that back here in Blighty chicks find the car a great attraction. No threat of it being hijacked as a girls car, similarly it isn't a boys car or a fogey's car. The MINI appears to be all things to all people. Except rice burners, too close to BMW for their comfort, you know too middle class etc etc.

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
With regards to the VR6, the cooper S would eat it for breakfast. The VR6 is simply to heavy and 'normal' to be as quick as expected. When I say normal, I mean 'comforted down', which is probably just as vague...

I haven't heard of this 337 before, and it's got me interested. On paper it seems like a good car, and if they make it less like the modern golf and more like the original, it should be quite good. However, they'd have to pull something major to get it to beat a cooper s round the twisties, assuming it handles like the cooper.

But, seeing as no-ones driven both cars, nothing can really be compared. It'd be interesting to see if the golf's gone back to its roots though, instead of the spongy lower-management mobile it's become.

Just my opinion,

Dom

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
At the end of the day the MINI is a real drivers car that can (if need be) carry 4 people.
If you need to carry 4 then buy something like the Golf.
Both good cars, but different.
If that makes sense! :confused:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Re-live your youth & go for the Cooper S :p :p :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts