MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini cooper S 2002...obviously. Its got a standard box airfilter on it at the moment, can anyone reccomend an induction that works well with the cooper S or is the standard incution as good as it gets? Don't get me wrong the mini flies, and keeps up with type R's etc, but it would be nice to upgrade to a better induction if possible. As for the value, well I'd keep the original airbox anyway. Any ideas???

Also it needs new brake pads, mini quote £300.....again, any help?

I'm new to Mini's I'd love to join the community, anyone know of any meets in south west wales, or oxfordshire?

Thanks Jonny

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just replacing the panel filter with a washable permanent filter from the likes of K&N or Minimania or other would yield you a noticeable difference in the midrange. These are not expensive and you keep your airbox intact. In the long run, it's also less expensive than replacing air filters as routine maintenance on your car.

Then there are the cold air intakes. They cost a bit more, but actually yield you a bit of horsepower. Also, you will notice your supercharger whines louder. Some people like it :D, some people don't like the noise. But if you plan on subsequent mods to your engine to yield even more power, then a cold air intake is pretty well a requirement.

Welcome to the MINI community. MINI2 is a great place to do some research as to what people of done to add performance to their cars as well as some of the pitfalls that may happen. Also there are sponsors to this site that can help you make an educated decision.

A lot of people here fell Mikethemini is a great resource.

Cheers!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a mini cooper S 2002...obviously. Its got a standard box airfilter on it at the moment, can anyone reccomend an induction that works well with the cooper S or is the standard incution as good as it gets? Don't get me wrong the mini flies, and keeps up with type R's etc, but it would be nice to upgrade to a better induction if possible. As for the value, well I'd keep the original airbox anyway. Any ideas???

Also it needs new brake pads, mini quote £300.....again, any help?

I'm new to Mini's I'd love to join the community, anyone know of any meets in south west wales, or oxfordshire?

Thanks Jonny
i have a K&N typhoon sysem on mine its around £200 and it doesn't give a deep throaty noise it just makes the whine on the charger slightly noisier!! its ace!!!!

breaks!! hmmm i got some green stuff pads and EBC grooved and vented all round and it didn't cost that!!! but does the £300 include fitting coz id say that aint to bad with 4 disc's and pads!

·
Registered
988 Posts
£300 sounds like just parts - include fitting and I think you'd be looking at about £600...that's what they quoted me when I was in line for some new ones! In the end, I went for the GTT spiroslots and pads, and fitted them myself - round about £300 for the discs and pads.

For the air filter, I went for a Pipercross panel, as I didn't want an induction kit (insurance etc), and means I can clean the £40 panel filter, rather than replace with the OEM filter at £20 peach time...!

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
I think when Jonny says brakes pads, he means MINI quoted £300 for standard pad change:aargh:
Johnny Like OJM says, at this point as you want mnore power anyway you may be better in investing in uprated pads and discs.

Many places exc.MINI will now fit standard R56 MCS brakes to your R53 - They are identical to R53 JCW brakes but without the red calipers and JCW badges. Try ThinkMINI who are One of the site sponsors, They;re in Worcs. and I beleive they can do this mod for you ;)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
If you want to retain an OEm look and get good intake then go for the JCW airbox with an ITG filter or a GTT insert.

If you want lairy and noise then go for the GTT or Alta boxed intakes

Brakes wise, you can do fine on ebay, also places like ThinkMini 1320, lohen etc etc all offer OEm replacements and upgrades (still stock size etc). pads about £70 or less dependant on make and model, and discs around the same. Fitting is not too much as its perhaps 1-2 hours I should think for both D and Ps so £100 inc VAT +parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts