MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

New here and I am lookin at purchasing a R53 Cooper S works, i used to have a well speces 2003 version but had to sell it an now i am looking to purchase again. I have found 2 good examples a privately owned 2005 with 52K on the clock with 18" wheels (mini not jcw and no jcw calipers), chilli pack, JCW leather recaro seats, full 210 engine upgrade, sat nav, steering controls, and bluetooth prep. It has NO sun roof and NO body kit- I should be able to get for £9k.

The other car I have seen is from mini used and is an 05 plate with 42k on the clock. It has chilli pack, 18" jcw wheels with jcw callipers, full leather but NO recaro seats, full 210 upgrade and jcw body kit. Should be able to get for £11k.

Hard choice but any input would be appreciated, they are both black with black roof.

Many Thanks

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
You should buy mine....

You should beat them down on price a bit IMO - I would go for the £9k car purely for the sparcos.... and that its cheaper so will depreciate less...

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
Assuming they're both tidy and have been well looked after, I'd say go for the first one.

Put some upgraded aftermarket brakes on, buy a pair of Aero skirts cheap off eBay, and you've got yourself a nice car. If the wheels are indeed 18", I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're probably JCW rims, just without the brakes, and likely missing the JCW centre caps.

The second one sounds expensive to me. Sure, it's done 10k less miles, has the overpriced (albeit rather pretty) JCW brakes, the Aero kit (I only ever liked the skirts anyway on the R53), and - I assume from your description of the first car - a sunroof. BUT, it's £2k+ more, and it lacks the awesome Recaro seats from the first car.

Does the second car also have sat nav and MFSW? If not, those are two further reasons to opt for the first car. Personally, the only reason I could justify the latter car would be for the Cherished warranty, which I assume it'll come with?

That's my 2p anyway. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the comments,

Neither car has sunroof and the 11k mini will come with mini cherished 1 yr warranty...is it worth it though? I will get the 9k private care checked by AA.

Am I guessing by the comments that the side skirts, callipers etc can be retro-fitted easier/cheaper than the seats which the 2nd 11k car does not have? are the seats worth it/ a better option to have? The 11k car has already had 4 owners and the 9k car has only had 2. The 11k car has ipod connectivity but the 9k car does not, any advice on buying from private, no one seems to be massive fans of the full jcw body kit; agree?

Know there is a lot to be answered but any comments are a massive help!

Many thanks.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
There was no JCW body kit for the 1st Gen MINI ... it's simply an aero kit. Some people fitted the whole kit and others fitted just parts of it.

The JCW Brake Kit came with bigger front discs. If you like red calipers you can paint the stock ones ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
Warranty is always nice to have, especially given that the MINI is an expensive car to fix when something goes wrong. HOWEVER, it'll only be a limited/extended warranty, so if I'm not mistaken, it'll not cover everything that a warranty from new would have covered.

If you're confident that the cheaper car is in good shape and has been well cared for, the Cherished warranty probably isn't worth £2k extra.

Aside from the skirts, I'm not a massive fan of the whole first gen Aero kit (as MINIAC said, there's no JCW kit, but the Aero kit was often fitted to the JCW). The skirts really finish the car off and are worth having... the rest of the kit always looked a bit cheap to me. :eek:

Bigger brakes are a massive benefit on the JCW, but it's more cost effective to go down the aftermarket route IMO.

The Recaro seats were a fortune to spec, plus they're a huge improvement over the standard sports seats. Also, fitting some form of tidy iPod connection will cost very little, so don't get hung up about that.

I guess that's my 3p now. ;)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Brakes can be retrofitted - can get a version from the R56 S which are basically the same thing without the paint for good money....

Sat nav I wouldnt pay extra for TBH - it replaces the temp gauge which is something I would want to have plus a portable sat nav is far far cheaper...

JCW seats are brilliant IMO. Very comfortable for me and cost about £700 ish IF you can find a set 2nd hand... if not they are over £1k EACH chair from a dealer...

Aero kit is circa £1k fully painted from the dealer. I love the full kit but its an expensive option - if your not fussed over the looks dont pay the premium the kit may commang and go for the non-aero kit fitted car...

Proper iPod connection from BMW is circa £300 but you can always get aftermarket options cheaper...

MFSW can be retrofitted too - the parts are only like £150 but labour can make it expensive if you want cruise to work - I was once quoted £600 to retrofit it but Im not sure if it can be done for less

The 18" JCW wheels look nice but you wouldnt go too far wrong by getting some lightweight aftermarket wheels - they will be cheaper on tyres too (205/40/18 runflats are >£175 a tyre last time I looked)

The sunroof weighs more so I wouldnt be too bothered if my MINI didnt have one ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts