MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't gotten my MINI yet and I'm starting to think maybe I should have looked around more before ordering. I just noticed that the 05 Mustang's are much cheaper than I thought they would be and seems like i could have gotten one within my price range. I love the look of a classic and therefore i really like the look of the new mustangs. I have always thought that it doesn't make sense to get a non-GT mustang and even weirder, an automatic mustang, although this is what I would have to get if I were to get one. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks, what advantages does a MC have over the 05 mustang V6?

A few things i've considered are that weird factor I mentioned above and the MPG, the great MINI community, the size of the mini ( i like smaller cars), what else? Did I make a good decision or should I have thought more?

·
94 Posts
I think you made the right choice. The mini is an extremely well made, fun to drive car. Not to knock the Mustang, but you see them everywhere. With the Mini you get all of the fun and a more unique car to boot. Just my two cents.

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
mataku said:
I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks, what advantages does a MC have over the 05 mustang V6?
I think you need to reverse the question: "what advantages does a Mustang V6 over a MC?"

RWD and better straight line speed are about the only replies I can think of. That, and Ford dealerships are as common as lamp posts. If those factors matter most to you, get the Ford. If not, you know what to do. :)

-CW

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the choice was between an '05 Mustang GT and the MINI, well, maybe. They're of course very different sorts of cars and it comes down to personal choice. The '05 Mustang is a vast improvement over what's come before, by all accounts. But a V6 with an automatic? I don't think that would be much fun.

Mark

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
You've got to be kidding, right?! Well, I guess if you like the usual breakdowns, seeing yourself everywhere, cheap build quality, and atrocious dealership service, go for the F*rd. You can't be all that serious about driving if you are contemplating the Ford.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Obviously, besides build quality and things like that, the main difference is straight line speed vs. handling. The Cooper can out slalom a Porche 911 turbo. Can the Mustang outrun one? :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah... feeling much better. Thanks for the reassurance guys. I thought about it too today overall I think I made the right decision. Fuel economy is a big one since I won't have too much money to spend on gas, also i'm really looking forward to see how everything goes in some curves. I'm not too familiar on the build quality and service of a Ford, having not known anyone that owns one. I think i'm just feeling very frustrated that my MINI hasn't arrived. It's been TOO long. The OL has a date of 11/11/2004, but as of today, it's not even in yet. I'm so tired of having take the train everywhere and wasting time picking people up just to get a car. Hurry up little mini.

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
How's this for quality? Built Ford Tough. I for one don't like it when I try to open a door and the handle comes off, or when I'm driving and the ECU decides to shut off, or when I'm staring at that SUV in my rear and all of a sudden the rearview mirror falls down. All of these actually happened to friends of mine who own Ford vehicles. I really love the styling of the new Mustang, but if I were even considering getting it, it would have to be a manual. Besides, if you're getting a stang, you really can't settle for anything under 450 hp!

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Johnny225 said:
How's this for quality? Built Ford Tough. I for one don't like it when I try to open a door and the handles comes off, or when I'm driving and the ECU decides to shut off, or when I'm staring at that SUV in my rear and all of a sudden the rearview mirror falls down. All of these actually happened to friends of mine who own Ford vehicles. I really love the styling of the new Mustang, but if I were even considering getting it, it would have to be a manual. Besides, if you're getting a stang, you really can't settle for anything under 450 hp!
My brother-in-law and I weren't too pleased when his Ford Ranger pick-up with 9000 miles on it stranded us on the highway between Cincinnati and Columbus OH at 3:30 in the morning, especially considering that he had his $3500 drum kit and I had my $1,000 bass guitar and $1,200 amp in the back. That was a long tow truck ride home! Or when our new Ford Econoline van stranded my whole family in North Carolina one year. We had to go to this repair shop and it was SCARY as hell. You couldn't give me a Ford.

·
Registered
144 Posts
dansmini said:
My brother-in-law and I weren't too pleased when his Ford Ranger pick-up with 9000 miles on it stranded us on the highway between Cincinnati and Columbus OH at 3:30 in the morning, especially considering that he had his $3500 drum kit and I had my $1,000 bass guitar and $1,200 amp in the back. That was a long tow truck ride home! Or when our new Ford Econoline van stranded my whole family in North Carolina one year. We had to go to this repair shop and it was SCARY as hell. You couldn't give me a Ford.
Well said Dan!

I can't even think up words to describe how horrible Fords are without triggering the censors. They are horrible. In the American mania for quarterly results, monthly results, and weekly results; our domestic cars have been "cost reduced" to the point that they simply aren't worth owning. I am an engineer, and I have been tinkering with cars for over 20 years and you couldn't melt and pour me into a Ford. I had a company Taurus for about 2 years while I was on a project where I was driving about 1000 miles per week, and my retired uncle started up a used car dealership (I do his mechanic work), so I do have an idea what I'm talking about.

All that said, the new Mustang is a very good looking car. It's a shame that such an attractive car is basically smoke and mirrors....

Rawhyde

·
fun fun fun!
206 Posts
talk about quality.. first of all Ford.. an american brand.. waht can you expect from them.... notinth... then go on to the MINI and greman brand.,... waht can you expect.. EVERYTHING!!... they have many luxury features the Ford doesnt.. and also thinking about that the MINI's engine can probably last to times longer than the mustangs.. and think about the rareity of the MINI ... it makes you feel special..

* thats my 3 cents( opinion)*
;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's plenty bad you can say about any brand. I have a MINI and still love both of our other cars, FORDS.

If you're trying to decide between a MINI and a Mustang, coming to a MINI board might give you some bias :)

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
If you are looking at a 05 Mustang be ready to pay a BUNCH over MSRP. The 04s, on the other hand, are almost being given away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I was in the U.S. I would go for the Stanger :D but only a V8, if you you like small cars however you have made a right choice in the Mini. An interesting choice of topic actualy 2 60s icons from both sides of the atlantic reborn.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
mataku said:
I'm not too familiar on the build quality and service of a Ford, having not known anyone that owns one.
That should have answered your question.

BTW...best story about Fords for me was seeing a massive Ford 18-wheeler in the median lane in front of a local Ford dealer billowing massive amounts of smoke and flames from the engine compartment stranded whilst the driver tried like hell to cross both lanes of traffic into the dealership parking lot.

Imagine the HORROR on the dealership's management when they saw that atrocious form of advertisement out their front window! HAHAHAHAHA!!! :D :p

·
Flustered MINI Buyer
15 Posts
I'm trying to order a MINI right now but I have looked at every sporty/fun car being offered on the market right now.

I've owned alot of american muscle and even some german genius.

The Mini is hands down the most fun car out there. (I'm a porsche guy so that's saying alot)

I love the look of the new mustang but after driving them (Auto V6, and Manual GT) I walked away unimpressed. There's something cheap about them. When you give it some juice the cars tend to squeak, pop, rattle, and clunk.
The cars felt old, there was nothing tight about them. The MINI feels like a Go-Kart with attitude.
I guess if you are buying the mustang for it's "classic" appeal you'll get just that.
The mustangs drove like a mustang does, fast, straight, rigid, and mean.
Try abusing a ford the way you can drive a mini and you will pay for it though.

The Mini is both economical and wicked fun. Besides, the thought of being able to take that parking spot downtown that nobody else is brave enough to try is awesome!

When you get your Mini, find a mustang driver at a light, laugh at him, comment on his sexual preference and take off. When he chases you... turn a corner. You'll see then why you made a good choice.
:D
SMN

·
Registered
133 Posts
does the mustang (or any car under 30-40k, for that matter) give u:

still worth 65% of MSRP after FIVE, yes FIVE years!
36k free scheduled maintenance (50k for another $600)
self-leveling headlights
self-washing headlights
runflats
auto-sensing rain wipers
6 airbags
custom ordering
separate roof color from body
chrome interior/exterior
leatherette that people say "nice leather!" when checking out your car
4-star safety rating
onboard computer
mfsw
mp3-playing stereo STOCK
...the list goes on and on...

not to mention the mini is the best-handling 4-seater u can buy in the US and is one of the top 10 overall...

the ONLY thing the mustang has over the MINI is trunk space and straight-line speed...but straight-line speed is boring compared to twisty speed, and the S still has lots of pickup...

·
Administrator
4,990 Posts
I don't know about all this build quality stuff. My MINI has spent more time in the shop in the last couple of years than my Mustang, my 1966 Mustang.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts