MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REcall

I have just had a call from my dealer asking me if I could get my JCW in to them quite urgently as there has been a safety recall regarding the front brakes. So off I went it as sounded like I should get it to them quite quickly.

Mine was checked and all okay. It seems that the factory have fitted the wrong size front disks on the JCW cars instead of 17 inch they have fitted the standard 16 inch disks.

This poses a problem for BMW as under the spec and JCW contract they have sold you a car that cannot be called a JCW and therefor if you were to have an accident this would open up a whole can of very unpleasant worms for BMW.

Now the thing is there seems to be a large backorder for these and BMW / Mini will not let you drive your car away if you have the incorrect ones fitted for the reasons above, so have to give you something to drive away.

WD

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Not heard anything yet.

But I will be a bit miffed.

Apart from the non-fitment of rear darkened glass, the wrong brakes and an exclusive speedo that became standard before I even got my car what have I got.........?

Oh yes, now I remeber :)

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
17" discs with 17" wheels hmmm thats got to be wrong
That is what I thought but that is what the advisor told me anyway. I think the jest of it all is that they are about 1inch smaller in diameter than they should be.....

WD

·
Registered
124 Posts
That is what I thought but that is what the advisor told me anyway. I think the jest of it all is that they are about 1inch smaller in diameter than they should be.....

WD
i was going to say that would be a tight fit:rolleyes:.Its up on the website that they are huge brakes but cant see how they will fit:puzzled:

·
Registered
565 Posts
had a test drive book for today and now cant have it as dealer told me all launch cars have wrong size disc fitted i thought they were 13" on front
not a very good showing is it and mean ever heard of quality control

test drive tomorrow now hopefully

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Thats a pretty shocking slip u by mini. I guess if your car was not affected droopy2, then it must have been only the very frst cars that slipped through the net.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
think some wires crossed there as there definately not an inch bigger than normal brakes, If anything i would have said they were same size bearing in mind the 4 pots from the JCW fit under 16" wheels.....

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
There are basically 2 areas at fault here

1 --- The sub supplier who suplies the built up suspension / brake assemblies for making an initial error

2 --- MINI assembly / QC for not spotting the sub suppliers error

I imagine thatthere have been a few hot e-mails and phone calls between respective parties

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
think some wires crossed there as there definately not an inch bigger than normal brakes, If anything i would have said they were same size bearing in mind the 4 pots from the JCW fit under 16" wheels.....
Dont think thats true! They dont even fit under regular 17's, only the challenge wheel or so ive heard.

This is the caliper under the 17" challenge wheel - its definately wont go under a 16.

DSCN0594_small.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Nope. That's correct. The new JCW's come with 17" discs up front and 16" discs at the back.

I remember this as I received the JCW paperwork in the mail the other day. Haha.
I believe the above to be incorrect - there is no way a car can have 17 inch discs under 16 / 17 inch wheels and MINI have not gone to inboard brakes yet

See here for details
http://www.mini2.com/forum/3522290-post32.html

·
Noob
247 Posts
I believe the above to be incorrect - there is no way a car can have 17 inch discs under 16 / 17 inch wheels and MINI have not gone to inboard brakes yet

See here for details
http://www.mini2.com/forum/3522290-post32.html
I ran upstairs to grab the JCW pamphlet I was sent and have it in front of me.

On page 34, it seems to say '16-inch brake disc at rear' and '17-inch brake disc at front - ventilated'.

I dunno. That's just what it says.

·
Noob
247 Posts
The brake discs are 316mm (12.44") in the front and 290mm (11.42") in the rear.
Ahh. It's obviously just incorrect in the printed book which was sent out then. Under 'Equipment' it clearly shows here that both the new JCW and JCW Clubman comes with 17" brake disc front and 16" brake disc rear as standard.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Just phoned MINI Customer services who confirmed that the front brakes on the factory MINI John Cooper Works should be 12.5" diameter, not 17".

I also pointed out to them the errors on the website ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts