MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of buying an ex-demo model of the new electric countryman, im keen to hear others' thoughts on this

i currently drive a convertible mini which is a 2011 model and has 52k miles on the clock and im ready for a change and would like to have better fuel economy as i need to drive an automatic

·
Mini noob
114 Posts
If you can get a good price for it I think it is a very good deal. Are you looking at the 7.5kWh battery or at the 10kWh version ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Unless you drive it mostly In pure electric mode and have access to sockets to charge it away from home then go for it, but it is expensive to buy and depreciation is steep in the first 3 years and cold weather electric range is dire. Even in high summer don’t expect more than 22 miles range,often less, and in winter 14-16 miles range. That means burning a lot of petrol. The petrol engine isn’t that economical either due to the extra weight of all those batteries.
I’m lucky I can manage to drive about 75-80% of miles in my PHEV in pure electric mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have given up charging mine and only ever get a bit of regen electric . Its averaging about 38mpg. Looking to chop it in early and get maybe get a full electric Golf for about £150 a month less and it includes a charging point outside

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so ive virtualy discounted the PHEV and now looking at a regular countryman, best model - again i need an auto, i guess some models have better write-ups than others? dont mind diesel or petrol

·
Registered
450 Posts
depends on what sort of driving you are mostly doing, more than 10-12,000 miles a year it has to be a diesel but if you are doing a lot of city driving be aware of how anti-diesel many cities are becoming and introducing ULEZ’s that virtually prohibit even the latest diesels enter them, also if plenty of stop/start driving there can be DPF issues. The 1.5 3 cylinder petrol engine in the PHEV is also available in other models and I think it is a lovely quiet and smooth engine and available with an automatic too, but there is the new 2.0ltr petrol that has an 8 speed auto and comes in JCW format if you want a hot hatch type sporty car............ in JCW format IIRC it only comes as an automatic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have to say my 2019 Countryman Cooper S has behaved faultlessly over the last 5 months. Obtaining 39mpg with mixed driving. The auto is really good on the 2.0l petrol engine and has all the performance I ever wanted with excellent low rpm torque. Held off a PHEV for time being because of the substantial extra cost but will look again when 2 year contract completes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have the 1.5 petrol cooper all4 and is more than enough power for most . Very good on fuel we got 46 mpg going to Paris and back but can get 50 mpg keeping to 70 mph . Tows a 1500 kg caravan with out struggling. We have a manual and they have just changed to double clutch autos so have a go in one .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been a member for some years but after selling our Mini One not been around much 😳

After 2.5 years driving an Outlander PHEV I decided to downsize to a Countryman PHEV and picked it up Saturday.

I've done 400 miles already and loving it. I thought the Outlander was great but the Mini is in another league😍

I could of got a Diesel or Petrol cheaper but then I'd of missed out on perks like preheat, free parking, free refurefuelling (elec) and concerns that cities may ban diesels forcing me to use park and ride😱

Looking forward to spending time here for research and sharing 👍

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Tim 👋

I didn't realise there were different versions - I have a 2019 Cooper S E with chilli pack - I presume the higher range is on the newer Classic/Sport/Exclusive ☹

·
Registered
60 Posts
Off topic Tim but how do I change my "Landy" message on profile as now needs updated🤔

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Tim 👋

I didn't realise there were different versions - I have a 2019 Cooper S E with chilli pack - I presume the higher range is on the newer Classic/Sport/Exclusive ☹
Quick Google and looks like MY19 added 10kw (Classic/Sport/Exclusive) so mine will be 7kw as MY18:cry:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Before I confirm any order for a New Defender PHEV in late 2020 I’ll make sure that I get a test drive of that then because I’m happy to keep running my old TDi 300 90 instead of buying an untried Defender model. Was going to sell both the Mini and the 23 years old Defender which is just about run in now with 92,000 miles on the clock and reduce to one very capable car but I’m not 100% sold on the New Defender - mainly because it is soooooooo expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Agree - as you know I bought the Discovery Sport after the RRS without seeing or test drive and I regretted it afterwards:oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased my Phev back in June this year and it was the 7.5kWh version. Unfortunately I had an issue with my car which resulted in it being replaced recently and the new one did come with the 10kWh battery along with a few other small changes including new shaped mirrors and different running lights. I think they changed the spec for cars built after June 2019.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased my Phev back in June this year and it was the 7.5kWh version. Unfortunately I had an issue with my car which resulted in it being replaced recently and the new one did come with the 10kWh battery along with a few other small changes including new shaped mirrors and different running lights. I think they changed the spec for cars built after June 2019.
Hi Jags - have you noticed much difference between the batteries in EV range?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts