MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to this forum. I picked up my 2012 coupe yesterday. It's a fab car!

My only disappointment is the USB only charges my iPhone hence no music play back and also Bluetooth won't let me play music through that

Any ideas if the radio is upgrade able to include these things. Was hoping to get track names on the screen etc

USB seems a bit of a waste of time

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 61 plate Coupe that both charges and plays music through the USB, and through Bluetooth.

I'm on Android at the moment but when I got the car I had an iPhone and it worked with that too, plus my iPad can do it.

Sorry that I can't help settings-wise, but I can say that it's definitely possible!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi I have the same problem with my 2011 cooper D even though I have an usb jack plug Y cabel I got of eBay so I went to my local mini dealer and ask if I could try one that they have in stock and it was the same as mine charges but won't play my iPod when I press the usb button on the head unit it comes up with insert usb on the display so it's not the cabel I have. So any help from anyone

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least I am not the only one. Ellesbelles - which version of the radio do you have. Is it the upgraded one?

Does anybody know if you can upgrade the radios

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not sure if you got any further forward with this or not.

I think it depends on if you have MINI Connected or not. My old MINI did have t and I could play my ipod over the car radio with it plugged in with the Y cable. I could also stream music over bluetooth from my phone.

My new Roadster does not have Connected but does have the USB and 3.5mm jack ports. My ipod will display the tracks on the Visual Boost screen but the sound is terrible, like it's under water so I have dumped my music onto a USB stick and that does the job sine, all the tracks are listed, the only thing is that the album artwork does not display.

I do have bluetooth on this car, but It does not allow me to stream music from the phone like the old one, not sure if it is because I don't have Connected or something like not having full Bluetooth. I have noticed that in the previous car I could display and have text messages read out but this car wont do it, a tad inconvenient but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if you got any further forward with this or not.

I think it depends on if you have MINI Connected or not. My old MINI did have t and I could play my ipod over the car radio with it plugged in with the Y cable. I could also stream music over bluetooth from my phone.

My new Roadster does not have Connected but does have the USB and 3.5mm jack ports. My ipod will display the tracks on the Visual Boost screen but the sound is terrible, like it's under water so I have dumped my music onto a USB stick and that does the job sine, all the tracks are listed, the only thing is that the album artwork does not display.

I do have bluetooth on this car, but It does not allow me to stream music from the phone like the old one, not sure if it is because I don't have Connected or something like not having full Bluetooth. I have noticed that in the previous car I could display and have text messages read out but this car wont do it, a tad inconvenient but not the end of the world.
Whats the sound quality like for the USB stick? Also how do you find it navigating between songs/artists/albums etc?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
626 Posts
Whats the sound quality like for the USB stick? Also how do you find it navigating between songs/artists/albums etc?
Thanks in advance
The sound quality is OK, no noticeable difference to what it was off the the ipod APART from the fact there appears to be cracking on some tracks, like it was recorded off a record. I need to check these out as one was off a Beatles CD so I need to see what it sounds like on the ipod and CD, could be original LP noises, some of the others I need to check to see if they were ones I copied off CD or downloaded from sites other than itunes !!!!!

Navigating is fine, just use the steering wheel buttons. Sometimes when I go back in the car a track has stuck and I just have to remove the USB stick but I had that with the ipod at times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

I've just received my 2016 JCW 2 door Mini with all the electronics. I originally tried to connect my iPhone6 to the USB and it wasn't recognized. (Tried to identical iPhones). I decided to try again a few days later, (and after putting in an online order for a Y cable assuming that was the issue). Anyway, second try it works fine. It charges the phone and plays music through the USB only and without the Aux connected. (Cause I don't have the Y cable yet). I'm assuming as well one cannot transfer music from the iPhone, but only from a thumbdrive or other dumb device as this?

I do believe for sound quality from the iPhone (and likely other external devices), one should have the iPhone volume itself turned all the way up and use the Mini Audio to control your volume or sound quality will suffer. Found this after experimenting with home audio and online research.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Be careful with the radio. It is also the cars main computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts