MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Morph-a-Doodle
3,074 Posts
These pics aren't too good but I'm here to tell the tale, the New Mini is strong. Awful footage from the first post :( Theirs No Excuse for drink driving, the driver that pulled out on me never got breath tested, it should become compulsary in every RTA. Rams

Attachments

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
a few things,

one , its scary how the mini was completely totaled but as far as i can tell the pickup looked like it just had some front end damage (plus the driver walked away). i thought the mini was a safe car. not a car the bursts into flames and blows up when it hits another car.

two,
i don't think drinking and driving is right at all, but i'm alittle confused. if the cooper jumped into the other oncoming lane and hit the guy in the truck that was in his own lane, why would he be in trouble. its not like his drinking caused the accident????

·
Registered
30 Posts
flav said:
a few things,

one , its scary how the mini was completely totaled but as far as i can tell the pickup looked like it just had some front end damage (plus the driver walked away). i thought the mini was a safe car. not a car the bursts into flames and blows up when it hits another car.

two,
i don't think drinking and driving is right at all, but i'm alittle confused. if the cooper jumped into the other oncoming lane and hit the guy in the truck that was in his own lane, why would he be in trouble. its not like his drinking caused the accident????

The cooper does have some good safety stories. http://on.miniusa.com/thread.jsp?forum=46&thread=100004398

It seems the driver of the truck got out before the fire.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Some more comments...

First, Mini-Trainer, what happened there?? What hit you? Glad you are OK but any injuries?

To be clear, witnesses said the MINI and another pickup truck were street racing, 90-100mph. The MINI went to pass the pickup in the breakdown lane, and the pickup swerved into that lane to cut him off and block him. Not sure if it hit the MINI or just the driver loosing control to avoid hitting the pickup, went flying across the median and into opposing traffic, striking the F-250 that is pictured and bursting into flames.

The F-250 driver had nothing to do with it, despite being intoxicated. (Still, had he not been, perhaps the extra reaction time would allow him to avoid the MINI-projectile?)

Now it is very strange for a car to suddenly burst into flames like in the movies. Especially with a front/side impact like that (not a rear-end). Considering he was racing, I'm wondering if he had nitrous in the back and the impact caused that to rupture, which would certainly explain the explosion of fire. I actually HOPE that's the case because I don't want to have to find out our cars are prone to this normally!

Also if he was racing, chances are he tuned his MINI, which means he may very well be a member of MINI2 or NAM. Be prepared for bad news. :(

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You don't have to cause an accident to be charged with driving under the influence. He may not be at fault for the accident but that doesn't help him with the DUI rap.

Harry

·
Registered
362 Posts
flav said:
From the news reports, I got the impression that he's not in trouble for causing the accident, but he is likely to be in trouble for driving drunk.

As to this accident, if all cars ran on Diesel, Petrol cars would never get type approval.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts