MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini daddy doggie

895 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·
16 yo daughter wants a mini. We have about 3 grand. She likes this 05 automatic w 126000 on the clock. Always heard 07 and newer was the way to go. Thoughts, prayers shotgun. Cause i am sorry to say, she will look good in it.

#2 ·
2007-14 avoid like the plague! Too many faults to list!

2001-2006 r50-53 the best by far.
Being a first time driver I assume you'll be looking at a ONE OR COOPER.

The gearboxes are the weak point of the r50.
Up until July 2004 when it was replaced by a five speed gertag box

Labouring Midlands box and abusing it is the main cause of failure.

Also lack of gearbox oil changes causes both gearboxes to wear rapidly

Change the oil every 30k mtf94.

-----------------------#

The tritec engine is bombproof but it does leak.

The crankshaft position sensor o rings fail, it's often misdiagnosed as a leaking sump.
5 min job to replace it if the cars put into front end service mode.

rear main seals can leak , check around the bell housing where it joins the engine.

Front main seals and timing cover gaskets weep check them aswell.

Check around the Oil filter housing for seepage! This is a common fault again a relatively easy job.

If the car has over 100k make sure it doesn't rattle when started this indicates a worn timing chain tensioner not a nightmare if caught early.

Very easy to replace, 1) 19mm bolt below the oil filter housing.

£30 easy peasy

Look for Modmini he is the mini god lol

Everything I have listed above he does a guide on.

--'--------------

Look for rust under the car especially where the rear suspension cross member mounts

Look under seals especially front door and boot Seals they hold water and cause rust.

If it's a sunroof model make sure the roof seal is intact and crack free.

Check the front carpets for moisture the Bcm "body control module" is mounted close to the floor behind the bonnet pull, its allergic to water lol and ain't cheap to fix.

TO SUM UP..

TRY TO FIND A FACE LIFT R50

BUILT FROM LATE JULY 2004 to 2006

R50 PRODUCTION CEASED SEPTEMBER 2006 I BELIEVE.

NEVER EVER BUY AN R56. [emoji33]

@Milpol will add on some more info
@SeanC any fink to add?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I took a punt on buying a BMW Mini and didn't know the difference between a Gen 1 or a Gen 2. I purchased a 2002 R50 as I haggled the price down and liked the look of the car as it was presented and it ran well. I had considered an R53 but had no experience with Super Chargers and knew there was more to it than driving a car maintenance wise. The R50 is running well, for a car with high mileage, its had its share of repairs but to be honest, all are age related with the exception of a new sump as the old one had a stripped sump plug due to Gorilla mechanics. Its still my daily driver and often does club runs and no issues with the midlands gearbox (original) but its never laboured in 5th or flogged to death but certainly driven with spirit.

After 12 months, purchased an R53, its a twin of the R50 with the obvious visual difference. Car was purchased with known issues and these have or are being addressed. Being aware of the failings or potential failings due to maintenance of the Super Charger also taken into consideration.

Would I buy a Cooper S (Gen1 or Gen2) for a new car driver ? no way, far to powerful for young heads and a huge potential to get into trouble either by lack of experience behind the wheel or attracting the attention of the boys in blue. Would I buy an R50 for a new driver, yes in a heartbeat. great little car, drives well, especially on the open road and can hold its own in the tight stuff with a Cooper S where its all about technique and not speed. Post 2004 Cooper R50 would be the preferred due to the gearbox being more forgiving, especially with an in experienced driver. Wiser heads can buy a Cooper S later!

Which do I prefer ? the R50 or the R53 ? would be easier to ask if I was hot or cold :), both have their quirks and both have their bonus points but to be really honest I love them both, hence I own 2 Mini's.

Think of the R50 s the beginner drivers car and the R53 as the experienced drivers car, whilst it would be unfair to trash the R56 series petrol Mini's as many are on the road, they are more prone to engine issues and are more expensive to repair due to their complexity, a complete reversal for the R56 Diesel but the Gen 1 (2001-2006) Mini is probably the more faithful to the original Mini in its road handling and style.

Don't be afraid to walk away from a deal either as its worth waiting for the right R50 to come along.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.