MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing 80 MPH on the Interstate in Northern Wisconsin when a deer decided to have a go at me and my MINI. I was in the "fast" lane and it came across the "slow" lane, running fast enough that after the collision, it continued to roll all the way off the road.

It was raining at the time... and I was fetching an Advil out of my pocket, so I had only one hand on the wheel (no cars nearby). I thought it was a car in my blind spot at first, but then I heard the clatter of antler pieces rolling on the road. The MINI wavered a bit, but even one-handed I stayed in my lane without much diffficulty.

I had to cut out a bit of the wheel well plastic to keep it from rubbing on the tire, but I made it the remaining 120 miles home without difficulty.

Thanks to the MINI's safety (and some luck) I'm not hurt... the MINI will be fine after a visit to the body shop. But there is one less buck in Wisconsin.

Attachments

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
:eek: :eek:

Ouch! Sorry to hear :( Hope its sorted for you quicky :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Stupid Deer

Man, the deer in this state are out of control. :mad:

Here's a report from the Wisconsin DOT:

In terms of crashes involving a vehicle colliding with an animal or object, deer crashes rank third overall in Wisconsin (behind striking another vehicle and striking a fixed object). In addition to the 13 deer-related motorist fatalities last year, deer crashes resulted in 684 injury crashes in which a total of 792 people were hurt. In those crashes, 98 people suffered incapacitating injuries; less serious injuries totaled 337; and 357 people were listed as "possibly injured." ("Possible injury" is defined as any injury that is not evident at the scene but that is claimed by the individual or suspected by the law enforcement officer.)

The number of people injured or killed in Wisconsin deer crashes has increased over the past 25 years. The 805 people injured or killed in deer-vehicle crashes in 2003 amounted to 235 more than in 1993. In fact 2003 was the sixth-highest year for deer crash injuries or fatalities in 25 years of tracking. 1999 was the highest with 847 injuries or deaths.

You were lucky you weren't hurt...I keep thinking with my new convertible, I'll hit a deer and it will flip up into the air and land in the seat next to me...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Last week I totalled my Cooper. Spun out in the rain and slammed into a cement drainage ditch. Luckily I didn't get hurt at all . . . but the car is a total loss. I'm working with the insurance company now. Hopefully I'll ge ta nice chunk of change back and get an "S".

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I was in Maine last week and at dusk I saw four moose, in two groups, alongside the road. The statistics there vs. Wis. are somewhat worse because they are so much larger than deer. I was surprised at their size, and with their spindly legs, kept thinking about how bad it would be to flip one up and through the windshield. They have lots of moose warning signs in Maine and New Hampshire.

I noticed on I-90 in PA or NY, can't remember where, they actually had some radar units fixed alongside the road, aiming down the shoulders. There were signs with lights that would flash if an animal was detected. I assumed by the way they were setup that they were primarily for deer.

·
Jay
737 Posts
Animals dont seem to like minis do they. Hope alls well when you get it fixed :)

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
I hit a deer with my MINI when it was 4 months old. It looks as it should again, but I have had a ton of problems with the headlight ever since. :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my estimate...

$2000 - $3000 estimate... replace rear quarter panel and repaint. Two weeks without my MINI.

Insurance covered my rental, so I went all out: Cadillac Deville. :) Talk about the opposite extreme to the MINI. :p

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
A bit expensive, but sounds like all will be back to new.

Enjoy the compfy life in the Caddy :) Just keep track of all of that car behind you, It can be difficult to account for all that metal when passing or backing up if you're used to a MINI ;)

·
cristo
2,851 Posts
this is a high risk time of year for deer on the road, due to mating season
distracting the male's attention and the upcoming change in the clocks,
putting late afternoon traffic into twilight. be especially alert the next
several weeks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts