MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Carly for BMW on my BMW's since they first kicked off several years ago and now find it to be excellent for both dealer level diagnostics and simple coding.
Since both my wife and daughter have N18 equipped Cooper S's, I have also used the Carly app very successfully on Mini's. The main problem I used to experience with Carly was waiting for adapters to arrive via snail mail from Europe.
The good news is that Carly now stock BMW, Mercedes and VAG (i.e VW, Audi, Skoda) adapters here in Australia, which they sell from their new Australian web store here http://www.carly-shop-au.com/:big_grin:

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
It's a shame this information is hard to find on their website!
that would scare me off not being able to get up to date information on what to do and not to do on different components especially with the encoding jobs that all cars have now seen a lot of cars that have been plugged in by customers over the years with code wiped out and main dealer will not hand over coding stuff with out a fight or big price or more often now they say send the car in and they will fix it.. reminds me of a guy that try'd adding cruise control to his vw and bricked the ecu £1200 vw wanted to fix it,, ie fit new ecu and rewrite its brain to the other brains he still never got his cruise control either

·
Registered
179 Posts
that would scare me off not being able to get up to date information on what to do and not to do on different components especially with the encoding jobs that all cars have now seen a lot of cars that have been plugged in by customers over the years with code wiped out and main dealer will not hand over coding stuff with out a fight or big price or more often now they say send the car in and they will fix it.. reminds me of a guy that try'd adding cruise control to his vw and bricked the ecu £1200 vw wanted to fix it,, ie fit new ecu and rewrite its brain to the other brains he still never got his cruise control either
Like everything else you should only do what you are confident with, unfortunately for me I wanted to re-program my indicator flash from 3 to 5 but the Carly advised that my footwell module is one of the ones that could be affected by a firmware bug and there is a chance I will brick it on reboot, so leaving any FRM coding alone...

I also bought it to read the codes and reset service messages (after actually doing the service)

My other problem right now is my base 2010 R57 has a stutter at just below 2000rpm (and only there), no error codes are being thrown and I need the dongle to read the Parameters (it won't read with the eBay dongle). Googling this issue doesn't seems to point to anything specific, it could be fuel pump (doubt it), Throttle Body (my current guess), Coil packs (maybe), spark plugs (unlikely). Without error codes BMW are likely to just start changing parts until they fix it which I'm trying to avoid (throttle body alone is approx $700 AUD plus labour).

Although this is cheap compared to the amount of money my other baby is sucking up (a 74 VW Kombi).

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Like everything else you should only do what you are confident with, unfortunately for me I wanted to re-program my indicator flash from 3 to 5 but the Carly advised that my footwell module is one of the ones that could be affected by a firmware bug and there is a chance I will brick it on reboot, so leaving any FRM coding alone...

I also bought it to read the codes and reset service messages (after actually doing the service)

My other problem right now is my base 2010 R57 has a stutter at just below 2000rpm (and only there), no error codes are being thrown and I need the dongle to read the Parameters (it won't read with the eBay dongle). Googling this issue doesn't seems to point to anything specific, it could be fuel pump (doubt it), Throttle Body (my current guess), Coil packs (maybe), spark plugs (unlikely). Without error codes BMW are likely to just start changing parts until they fix it which I'm trying to avoid (throttle body alone is approx $700 AUD plus labour).

Although this is cheap compared to the amount of money my other baby is sucking up (a 74 VW Kombi).
2017 Diagnostic Tool Bluetooth TCS CDP+ Plus Autocom Car & Truck Auto OBD2?UK? | eBay
the above link gives live data on all functions that you will ever need over 50-60.000 different cars also can encode injectors and and a number of other stuff also dpf full works easy to use as well it wont let you do any thing that hurts your car,, how many miles has it done. if more than 50k its in the realms of timing chain stretched and that will give all kinds of strange behaviour depends on how stretch it is,,, i have seen loads of cars where customers have thought they would save money to cure a misfire by buying new plugs and coil pack injector cleaner 02 sensors etc,,, when all it was, was timing chain needing doing,, the bad bit about this with mini is the vti engine is very bad for it, but so is the bmw petrol own engine see loads with chain issues hmmm most turn up with new coil packs etc,, i always have a giggle at it not another lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts