MINI Cooper Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I absolutely agree with both your statements, and the worse thing is that nobody tells you that when you buy a diesel, particularly when economy is what diesel cars are allegedly advertised for. I mean, I get a superb economy when I'm driving it in 6th gear and 70mph (honestly, up to 68-70 mpg). But, when you have to "thrash" it for either passive or active regeneration to work, plus having to monitor this thing once in a while, it really is a pain...

Anyway, I'll do my next trip constantly revving it at 3,500 or above just to see when passive regeneration really kicks in (how many miles in) and how efficient it is compared to the active one.
Someone worked out you need to go above 80 in forth so just not worth it as the fuel economy is rubbish and just let it regen when it wants to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
i see all the trouble it causes and its fairly big on all makes of cars, fiat and vauxhall their little party trick is to melt hols in heads and to melt away the block between 3 and 4 cylinders, they also and most dpf cars do this push unburnt diesel in to the engine oil in the sump and thins it so much it destroys the crankshaft bearings, even vw engines from 2006 onwards do this, see the filter stops carbon from coming out the tail pipe so it ends up stuck to anything metal before the dpf filter this causes all kinds of failures with vnt turbo and piston rings and wear of timing chains etc on top of that is the high temps forced on anything behind the filter when it turns in to a furnace to clean its self, keeps me busy so not all bad but the 2-3k bills customers face at worse when it all lets go is not nice,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi to all, and to Mike 1967.

I have read, all of this DPF filters problems.Need to buy some used ,2014 Countryman 2.0 SD(180000km) ,with BMW N47 engine, which was used 99% out of city,
but i will drive it 90% time in the the city.
If i have understand Mike, the best option is to, turn Off DPF and EGR?
If for example, i remove DPF, for special cleaning procedure, at 90-99% clean rate, how many city miles, it need to be driven, for dpf, to be full again?

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hi Xenon,

Mike will give you a better answer, but in my brief experience, I'd tell you not to buy a Diesel in that case. Sure, the 2014 model will be a EURO6 one, so you will be exempt from potential diesel flat rate charges being introduced in major cities in the future (not from London's ULEZ though, there you need to go electric or hybrid to be exempt in any case); but, you will have to monitor your DPF from time to time and clean it.

At 180k kilometres (~112k miles), the car should have had a DPF change already, otherwise don't bother buying it, unless you have some good skills to change it yourself, or be prepared to pay for a replacement at a good mechanic (stay away from dealerships at any cost, they charge a flat's price to change it).

I can't tell you a figure, as we're talking for a different car (2.0L engine), different technology (DPFs in the post 2013 models has been moved closer to the heat source to be more efficient), and I don't know your capacity, how aggressively you drive and how many start-stop conditions you're facing daily. In my case ('63 registration, 1.6 Cooper D, 43k miles, 21 grams of Ash in the DPF), I need three weeks of smooth city driving (2 x sub-5 miles trips daily, locally with no heavy start-stop city traffic) to fill it halfway through and I manually take it for a ride forcing a regeneration via Carly (unless I'm planning a trip, where I'm monitoring the soot levels and whether the car requests regeneration itself on the way back - otherwise I'm doing it manually) and it seems to work OK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for info.

I have checked, for thet mini with 180.000km, at my official bmw garage.At 110.000km,it get all new engine, in warranty period, in 2017 year.
Am i safe now???

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Thanks for info.

I have checked, for thet mini with 180000km, at my official bmw garage.At 110.000km,it get all new engine, in warranty period in 2017 year.
Am i safe now???

180,0000kml so 111.847 miles hmm that seems to be top end of when they do the chains and destroy the engine, ie snap or slip teeth saying that see a lot at around 80,000 miles on all n47 diesels, did they replace the dpf filter at same time if not would deffo need doing

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Hi Xenon,

Mike will give you a better answer, but in my brief experience, I'd tell you not to buy a Diesel in that case. Sure, the 2014 model will be a EURO6 one, so you will be exempt from potential diesel flat rate charges being introduced in major cities in the future (not from London's ULEZ though, there you need to go electric or hybrid to be exempt in any case); but, you will have to monitor your DPF from time to time and clean it.

At 180k kilometres (~112k miles), the car should have had a DPF change already, otherwise don't bother buying it, unless you have some good skills to change it yourself, or be prepared to pay for a replacement at a good mechanic (stay away from dealerships at any cost, they charge a flat's price to change it).

I can't tell you a figure, as we're talking for a different car (2.0L engine), different technology (DPFs in the post 2013 models has been moved closer to the heat source to be more efficient), and I don't know your capacity, how aggressively you drive and how many start-stop conditions you're facing daily. In my case ('63 registration, 1.6 Cooper D, 43k miles, 21 grams of Ash in the DPF), I need three weeks of smooth city driving (2 x sub-5 miles trips daily, locally with no heavy start-stop city traffic) to fill it halfway through and I manually take it for a ride forcing a regeneration via Carly (unless I'm planning a trip, where I'm monitoring the soot levels and whether the car requests regeneration itself on the way back - otherwise I'm doing it manually) and it seems to work OK.
euro 6 came in September 2015 is a better system but still must treat the filter as a service item,

·
Registered
8 Posts
They have just replaced engine in 2017 at 110.000 km.
DPF has not been changed.
All km, 110.000 km+ 70.000 km, with new engine, was out of city driving.
If DPF will make problems, i will delete it.IT will cost me 140 euros.
Or to delete DPF+EGR+ Remap it to 199HP?
What do you think?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
They have just replaced engine in 2017 at 110.000 km.
DPF has not been changed.
All km, 110.000 km+ 70.000 km, with new engine, was out of city driving.
If DPF will make problems, i will delete it.IT will cost me 140 euros.
Or to delete DPF+EGR+ Remap it to 199HP?
What do you think?

take my word for it delete dont wait for it to kill another engine off, we doing remaps and deletes etc have done for years so see both sides of it all, ie main after feedback is better mpg and also goes from mot on gas check lower and also the engine oil stays very clean after which is the best point clean oil dont wear the chain as much, also when car regens it adds diesel to engine oil thins it and this also damages things over time, believe me if your at that point with it that delete is fine with you its prob the best job you will ever do for the future life of engine and costs of dealing with the damage its causes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for info.

Does to delete and EGR as well, or only DPF.
To Remap it?
Because i am not in your country, can i for example to pay for your SW?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
yep would always have both deleted as they share a lot of the ecu function for emissions and also with egr deleted and blanked with a blanking plate,, and more importantly the dpf filter its self must be done in a way that cant tell if been removed,, ie cut around the welds that are already there and re-weld so looks factory as such this avoids issues with mot in uk ie visual check, filter must be removed internally,, i have in past cut the outlet pipe off them and used a long 500mm masonry drill bit works best and just keep drilling it away,,on some cars the cat is part of dpf filter and that also needs to come out,, its possible to map out ecu ie post a ecu and have it programmed but better for it all to be done on the car as such, that said on new bmw ecu's now they will lock out any non genuine software to read write them in this case its a ecu out and desolder the chip and write it in a special holder as such,
this all said you could contact john on the uk number below and ask whats possible etc might be poss to post it etc.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
8 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing