MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am sure this has been posted elsewhere but I cannot find it - apologies for that.
The turbo is not boosting on my mini. I have changed the boost controller (checked vacuum pipes as well and order), changed the vacuum pump (checked vacuum and is good), changed MAF and DPF sensors, checked turbo vacuum (good) and actuator actuation (also good), cleaned EGR and changed the DPF for good measure.

The turbo does not kick in, lots of black smoke and initially no fault codes at all. Under load the charge pressure remains close to atmospheric. Very recently it goes into limp mode and then after a short while it clears that. No codes initially but inline with the limp mode it throws a dpf code - new DPD probably getting clogged up with too much unburned fuel. I am running out of ideas other than a leak on the pressure side - but where to start?
All ideas welcome!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
smoke tester needed for pressure side of induction pipes, the turbo's on these are weak as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok got variable nozzle turbo….if the actuator moves does that mean the vanes are not stuck?
Can a simple pressure test on the turbo be done - is there a kit to do this or better to get my local garage to do it?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
i would guess the control rod on that lever in pic that goes through side of turbo ie in to vnt ie its a round plate with nozzle flaps on it that controls the boost, will deffo be at end of days and most likely why you have no boost, those turbo's are prone to wear at that point and some as early as 20k some make it to around 80k ish but will throw under and over boost codes where start to wear out

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
smoke test machine
i have this one really good, must have tool in this day of new cars and vac leaks etc, rules out leaks before spending money on things like turbo and sensors etc

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
A quick update…

turbo changed out - problem fixed!

thanks guys
[/QUOT its very common problem with those turbo's , ideal it all worked out hit nail first time round

1 - 11 of 11 Posts