MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of speccing a single minidisc player in our replacement Cooper (I like my toys I do).

Never used one before - currently reading up on a portable recorder.

Q. does MINI Mini disc support Long Play?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
i currently have the minidisc in lolly, as u know she is awaiting replacement too.

No it does not have the long play facility.

However, i have ordered the single slot cd next time around.
Seem to have hundreds of cd's compared to minidisc so thought i would have a change.

Although the minidisc does sound good!

lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
why not have the better of cd and Md and get MP3?

up to 356kbps quality, ten albums on a disc at cd quality,

seems a better deal to me, (yes i do have one)

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about a CD player with MP3 but it would have to be a third party head unit which all seem a bit flimsy and tacky to me and I wouldnt be able to use my MFSW to control it (I think).

Dave

·
Registered
208 Posts
an aftermarket headunit would be better specced anyway compared to a standard mini one?

regards to mfsw give autoleads a buz and ask them if they do a smart lead, i would imagine so as the wiring is identical to bmw 3series leads.

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought a Sony portable MiniDisc recorder.

Been recording some CD's with the optical link - the playback quality on the Sony portable seems quite 'hissy'.

MiniDisc is digital right? - same quality as CD's?

Im getting worried as I have specced a MiniDisc in our new Cooper.

Advice appreciated for MiniDisc newbie.

Dave

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
I have the Mini Disk player. The sound is excellent.
The thing I like about Mini Disk is that they are so robust and so small. A perfect design for portable in-car entertainment.
I record CD's onto Mini Disk using a Denon home unit. The quality sounds the same as the CD!
I've used a Sony portable Mini Disk recorder/player, and although the quality was still good, it wasn’t as good as the Denon.
Another good thing about Mini Disks are that you can record all your tapes onto them (analogue to digital) and they sound like CD's. I've put all my tapes onto Mini Disk and given the tapes away!
It probably works well with vinyl.
I think it's a great format.
I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

I think the hissy discs were down to the original recording as other sound perfect - no background noise.

These little discs are great fun and I agree R1 they seem perfect for incar (too many scratched CD's!!!).

How long has MiniDisc been around?

Is it going to die out? I guess not as it seems to have the big names behind it, but......

....why isnt it more popular?

Going MiniDisc mad - recorded 20 so far. Richer Sounds seems the best place to buy them - 89p for a Sony Premium 74 in sexy gold and black :)

What about storage - any recommendations for in car cases etc.

Thanks MiniDisc'ers

Dave

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
baldie said:
How long has MiniDisc been around?

Is it going to die out? I guess not as it seems to have the big names behind it, but......

....why isnt it more popular?

Going MiniDisc mad - recorded 20 so far. Richer Sounds seems the best place to buy them - 89p for a Sony Premium 74 in sexy gold and black :)

What about storage - any recommendations for in car cases etc.

Thanks MiniDisc'ers

Dave
I've had a portable and a seperates unit for about 5 years now and couldn't do without them. They're also great for recording 'party' music onto to take to peoples parties. You can easily connect a portable player to another stereo system, bung it on random and play hours of music without having to worry about changing cd's when your pissed..:)

As for being more popular? I doubt that the pre-recorded Minidiscs will ever really take off as people have been buying CD's for too long now, but for putting together compilation albums from CD's you really can't beat them.

I noticed the other day that the latest generation of players can record MP3's straight onto the discs too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

Good link Snoopy - answered many Q's.

Dave

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thats a shame Iv'e ordered one with my new mini, my old in car MD had text support, that seems extremelly poor by BMW as even the cheapest In car MD players allow text....

Nevermind should still sound good I hope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts