MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my mini one with a 6 disk autochanger in the boot and cassette for the front, but it was only reading post from the forum i realised you can get bot the minidisk player for the front and autochanger in the back. I paid only £235 if i remember correctly, but i am interested to know how much it would have cost to get the single slot MD as well as the CD autochanger. Also if anyone knows how much it would cost to get a md player ordered and installed by the dealer?

Your replys are greatly appreciated:cool:

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you'd specced the boost MD player I think that would have cost ~£210 when you placed the order, (boost is the only way to get the MD). If you wanted to get the dealer to retrofit it, they'll sting you for >£500.

:(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that £210 on top of the £235 for the autochanger? So we are talking £445 for the md and autochanger if fitted when first ordered.

And if i was to get it now that i have my car, it would probably cost over £500.

If so, there goes that idea out the window!!!

:D :D :D
Cheers by the way!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not so quick have a think about this

You could see any one on the form here wants to sell their boost md head unit. This would be cheaper than paying for one from BMW.

Snoopy

Ps i think the cd changer that works with the wave radio does not work with boost head unit.

what i would do is: buy md head unit from person that is wanting to sell. then go by a sony cd changer and control bus converter. I even think BMW stockes the convert and sony cd changer. Try part numbers:

Sony CD changer 92861000067
boost interface 92861000069

·
Registered
464 Posts
As I have recently ordered a MD player with my new car I can confirm the price for the MD player is £235, as previously stated this include a compulsary ipgrade to boost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The CD player in the boot is the same for all 4 variants on head unit. Its actually a BMW part - so I am told, so you can change head units without having to worry about this.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That’s great to hear it is the same for all radio types. This makes sense.

The only reason I had for saying it might be different was that BMW has two part numbers for the interface box. One for the wave radio and one for the Boost radio.

Wave interface 92861000068 £61.00
Boost interface 92861000069 £61.00

Oh well looks like I guess wrong :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know why. The wiring at the radio is different, but the CD changer end is the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi snoopy

You said:
The only reason I had for saying it might be different was that BMW has two part numbers for the interface box. One for the wave radio and one for the Boost radio.

Wave interface 92861000068 £61.00
Boost interface 92861000069 £61.00
So what exactly do these interface boxes do?

I'm looking for a way to fool the Boost radio into thinking it has a CD changer attached and playing a track, and for the Boost radio to therefore accept audio input from an external source such as a portable MP3 player such as the Apple ipod.

Is this interface box going to be of use here?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Now go and get a beer you will need it

Interface boxes

Well I need to start with the basic of how a car radio head unit controls a cd changer. Otherwise I will confuse you; well I will most probably confuse you any way. But hear I go. :D :D

Head units talk along a “bus” to changers. This allows the head unit to control the changers action. E.g. play track one now, play track two now, change to disc 5, etc, etc.

On this bus they need a set of rules so the changer can understand what the head unit is asking for. This is called a protocol. You can think protocols are like languages e.g. if the head unit is talking Russian and the changers only understands French they cannot communicate. Therefore the changer can’t do what the head unit is asking for.

In the MINI the head unit talks a protocol know as “I bus”. So that means if you plug a changer in that understands “I bus” it will work. The factory cd changer understands “I bus”.

Now less say you want to us a Sony cd changer.

Sony cd changers understand anther protocol called “unilink”. So if you plug your Sony cd changer in to the MINI head unit they will Not WORK. One of the reasons is the MINI head unit is talking “I link” and the Sony cd changer cannot understand “ I link”.

What you need so your MINI head unit (talking “I link”) can control a Sony changer (talking unilink) is some type on converter/interface box.

What this converter/interface box does is translates between the two protocols. It goes between the head unit and changer and it allows the head unit to talk to and understand the Sony cd changer.

Confused. Good because I am. :cool:

Now back to the real problem of how to get external audio into the MINI head unit.

Here is one way. But THIS IS A GUESS, AS I HAVE NOT DONE IT MYSELF.

1. Buy a converter/interface box. Then buy a Sony XA-107

Here are some links I have found on the XA-107.

Link 1

Link 2

A second way you could try is by using a FM modulator. What these are is you plug your I-pod into it and it transmits the audio on a Broadcast freq. So all you have to do is tune your radio into the FM modulator freq. Not a good way of doing it but it is cheap and simple. The disadvantages of it is the the quality of the FM transmitter are normally quite poor and you have to find a freq that is not in used by a commercial broadcast station.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Convertor boxes are a bit tricky. as it talks in 2 languages, if not fluent it can cause some serious problems. Imagine an over zealous interpretor, it would never let anyone else a word in edge ways, therefore you may block other important car messages, it could also bring your car down.

Be careful!!

Avoid FM CD changers - its not the way to do it, unless its free!!

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
boombox69 said:
Imagine an over zealous interpretor, it would never let anyone else a word in edge ways, therefore you may block other important car messages, it could also bring your car down.
Surely the box sits between the head unit and the cd changer on the cable linking the two. If it isn't going to receive 'car messages' there, it's not going to effect anything :confused:

Dom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi snoopy,

Thanks for that explaination, and I did understand it all! (I engineer sound for bands and conferences for a living:) )

Your Link 1 had a link to another page:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...p?a=&s=0&g=50900&id=essential_info&i=158XA107

That page says that XA-107 is discontinued:(

I'm still a bit confused however, as far I can see the XA-107 still has an audio out (on standard phonos) that has to be plugged into an input somewhere. So does the BMW interface box 92861000069 have a phono input? If so then as long as the I-link side of the box can be made to think it should be accepting an audio input then that should work, I _think_. I'll have to investiagte further when I have a bit more time.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
If you want the MD unit but your not willing to pay BMW the stupidly expensive amount of money for it to be retrofitted by the dealer (did someone £400!!!!!) I have a suggestion and Or solution!

Why don't you find someone in your area who's not getting there car for another month or so (so can still alter there options) who is only getting the standard radio because he or she only wants the stndard radio or is upgrading to a Non Mini Head unit (like I am). Pay them the upgrade price from the Mini Normal to the Mini MD Boost. Then when there car arrives do a swap. I'm almost sure tht some friendly Mini2 member wouldn't have aproblem with doing tht for you. Not costing them nything, and swapping had units isn't difficult!

SO waht do you think. The only problem I can for see is that some members mentioned tht the Boost Units have a different connector. Can't see that this is true but then again!

So are there any helpful Mini2 members out there getting a car in over a month in kbgnat's area?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mini uses a star bus network so all ECUs see all traffic. Therefore it is not jus between the radio and the CD. Still Risky!

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Sorry boombox69, but I think you're wrong...

The CD changer cable runs from the Headunit to the CD changer. It does not attach to anything else. Thus, putting a box somewhere on this cable will not, and can not interfere with another system. Of course, I'm open to proof otherwise...

No offence intended,

Dom

·
Registered
164 Posts
kbgnat said:
is that £210 on top of the £235 for the autochanger? So we are talking £445 for the md and autochanger if fitted when first ordered.

And if i was to get it now that i have my car, it would probably cost over £500.

If so, there goes that idea out the window!!!

:D :D :D
Cheers by the way!
"MINI me" should now arrive on the 28th or 30th March, I am seriously considering changing the MD Boost head unit for a third party one that does text and LP as long as it works with the MFSW. I'll keep you in mind.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers, let me know if you do.

Will need to see, as i am curretly very annoyed with my current mini (read my other posts), so will be letting the dealers/service department a shot at fixing the car and making amends for themselves. If they fail I will be sending the car back for a replacement - and will probably spec it up more;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dom

A Bus system can be very complex. It actually gets worse in cars and gets worse as new ones get developed from now. Your home has a sort of bus system called the ring main. If this gets knackered you have lost everything. Luckily most things are tapped off it and its more likely you lose a section of the electrics, or just the 1 component.

In a car, like MINI. Every component (which is on a bus) CAN talk to another. The speed signal, from the ABS system can therefore not only tell the speedo, but can tell the radio it is going faster and to adjust the volume. Navigation, TV and the Amplifier also use this signal. Therefore if you put a new component on the bus 1 of a few things could happen.

1. It could drag the bus to ground (0V), or pulled hig and therefore no one can talk to anyone on that bus (Gateways limit other buses).
2. It could try and send illegal messages (i.e. continually use the bus bandwidth) and other uses can not send their messages.
3. It could send messages, which are interpreted by other users and make them do STRANGE things.
4...100 There are loads of other scenarios.

So the link between the CD and the radio talks to everyone, but is only actioned by the end user(s).

#It is possible for the link to be a private bus, but the MINI has a STAR architecture bus system and therefore COULD damage your vehicle.

Well thats what I think

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
boombox 69

I understand the idead behind star bus and CAN bus. And as you say to put a new component on the bus is very risky unless it knows the rules(protocol).

But BMW do offer a converter box to plug a Sony changer in to the BUS system. So out of all the companys that make these converter boxes i though that the one made by the MFG would know the rules (as they have access to the bus design).

So does any one know if the conterver box that BMW offer under part number 92861000069, made by a third party???

Snoopy

ps a TV needing the car speed, now you will have to explain this.:confused: :confused: is it for function or safety

1 - 20 of 23 Posts