MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive been thinking about exhaust systems and have came across a thought... (don't slate me to hard for this idea)..

Is it possible to hook up a vacum cleaner to the end on the exhaust to increase scavenge through the system, i know exhausts flow quite a lot at high revs, but im sure its nothing a hoover couldnt handle....

would this increase scavenge...therefore increasing effeciency?
The reason i ask is it would take up alot of space, be quite expensive to get right (look good...ok it wont look good)...and therefore the manufacturer would not put one in because of this!

Ideas and theories welcomed before i strip down the DC02 :D

Darren

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whatever you have been drinking....I'll have some!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Maybe he was in his closed garage trying out this idea and stil high on fumes when he wrote this.

Exhaust temps can easily get to 400 degrees, I don't think the Dyson will hold long :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha...your just jealous i thought of it first :D
the drink....cheapish red bull...red rooster me thinks (and no, theres no vodka) :)

To be honest the heat will have dissapated alot by the time it would reach my dyson anyways, as you can hold your hand over the exhaust while revving without burning it... im going to give it a shot tommorow... be prepared for HUGE BHP gains ;)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
in teorey he's right, but it would be impossible to manage as get the balance wrong and back pressure would be ruined. On an NA car it would be a no no

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
of course the next one is could it be mounted at the front end in reverse to force feed the system?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that would be an electric supercharger then...and we all know they dont work... im sure if you altered the speed of the motor to the speed of he charge flowing through the alternator then it should technically work...

though theres a little too much work involved and im not the best man for the electrics...

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
as you can hold your hand over the exhaust while revving without burning it...

Bloody hell! I'm not sure what your driving but I have tried to keep my hand in front of my exhaust when someone gave it beans under no load just sitting still and i couldn't keep my hand in from of the exhaust pipes... it was hot as hell and a lot of pressure/flow! maybe on a stock car it is not so bad but on a tuned one before fitting big injectors i couldn't do it and remain comfortable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts