MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Countryman PHEV is in the dealer’s today for its first service (2 years old but only done 7500 miles from new in June 2018) and I asked the dealers if I could have a courtesy car and if possible could I try one of their demo Mini-E’s for the day - the receptionist was sure if they could as Mini E is a demo and not on the courtesy car fleet. Anyway when I dropped my car off at 0830 the receptionist told me she had managed to get me a Mini-E for today.
the dealership is 14miles from home on mixed fast straight but not the smoothest surface and 2 miles across town in Stirling, Scotland. First impressions - it’s a great car, OK so it’s no Range Rover for smooth ride, it’s firm but not harsh Similar to my Countryman’s ride. I’m not a great fan of small cars having driven big lumbering 4x4’s for 30 up to 2018 and still have a 25 years old Land Rover Defender, I’m not ancient at 63 but getting in and out of the 3 and 5 door standard Minis is uncomfortable after years of climbing up into cars! The ride on my country roads is fine, the seats in the Mini-E 2 I have borrowed are part leather and very comfortable with plenty of adjustment, the steering wheel is nice to hold and ltheres loads of adjustment and there are not rattles so it appears to be well put together.
At low speeds there is a synthetic engine noise but once above 30mph it goes quiet and while there is some wind and tyre noise it isn’t intrusive and there is no need to turn up the radio volume to hear the system because of that. Instruments are good, I especially like the digital binnacle that will come to the rest of the models soon, it’s got very good graphics and it’s easy to understand what the additional displays are telling you. It was cloudy on my drive home so I cannot comment on how good the display is in bright sunshine yet - maybe when I return the car this afternoon I’ll find out. One thing I could easily find on the display is the kW/mile electric consumption indication - it would be nice to have that on the main digital display without having to go deep down in the menus. What you do get is battery charge percent remaining and estimated miles remain range ( if my Countryman PHEV is anything to go by the remaining range is totally unreliable - it Gets to zero then corrects itself back up to show more range without recharging! I suppose it errs on the side of range safety but the LED ring on the big central display is much more accurate!) . It has quite sufficient get up and go and I was able to pull out and overtake a car doing 55mph with ease, the speed pick up when moving is better than my PHEV running with both petrol and battery power running - very much what I imagine a gas powered Cooper S is like.
Electric Range - when I drove out of the dealership there was 67% charge indicated and on arrival at (mostly done at 60mph) There was 56% - i plugged the car into my Countryman’s domestic charger on a 13amp UK socket and in 45 minutes I had gained most of the charge I had consumed but the charge rate indicator reckoned the battery wouldn’t be fully charged util 8pm on 2nd June (it’s now 27 May at 10am!) so it looks like if you cannot get to a public rapid charger you will need a charger box at home rather than plugging into a domestic 240v/13amp socket. WLTP Range is supposed to be 144 miles for the model 2 - on the net the road tests reckon real world range would be 100/110 miles and possibly less on a cold winter morning - it was 12C when I drove home. I think it’s a great car BUT while it would be fine for probably 95% of my journies I do have to do a 110 mile round trip every month to Edinburgh and back and have no access to a rapid charger at my destination- it it weren’t Edinburgh that I was going to I would go in my old Land Rover but in their wisdom the city council there are about to introduce a ULEZ and according to its year of build my poor old Defender emits to many particles and NOX so unless battery tech can increase the Mini’s electric range in the next year it looks like neither it more an i3 will be on my shopping list for a new car in 2021/2022........... pity because the Mini-E is a very likeable and capable car. I’ll either go for another PHEV or a Kia/Hyundai E or a Tesla 3 or Y when that gets launched in Europe.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well 15 months later I have today placed an order at the local Mini dealers for a Mini Cooper SE Level 3 in British Racing Greenwich body colour roof, the chrome delete/ full piano black exterior trim pack and black 17” wheels…….. all black interior shouldn’t be too “coal mine-a-like” with the standard opening panoramic roof. Only options are the full piano black pack outside and “sun protection glass” - learned my lesson about speccing a heated front screen and heated steering wheel for a car that can be pre-heated. This car will replace my 94000 miler 1996 Land Rover Defender TDi300 SW and will sit in my garage while my 2020 New Defender 110 will be there for long road trips and off-roading plus load lugging/ trailer hauling. Delivery is given as “possibly November build but more likely early 2022 for late January delivery……… depends on the IC/chip situation!”. Comes with 1 year free BP Pulse charging.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surprise surprise - predicted arrival of the Mini E L3 was mid-Jan to mid-Feb and it arrived at the dealers 18th November and I took delivery on Friday 26th

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Plant

·
Registered
Bog standard R56 cooper (2008)
64 Posts
Lovely stuff, welcome to the EV experience!
Pre-heating (defrost & cabin heat) our leaf & tesla really narks the neighbours with "friendly jealousy" over the coldest season(s) ..one of the great joys as I'm sure you've found out this morning, real world data on the E-Mini is very welcome.

IF you are going to avail yourself of a 7kWh charger, try to avoid pod point they have had a terrible longevity reputation for years now, & the smart rolec (cannot remember the model) has expensive "smart" subscription (about £90 for 3 years currently) & that one has god awful standby power wastage that ought get it kicked off the recommended list!.
Many car chargers standby is down to between 3 - 7 watts (involving sending regular data packets, the rolec i'm maligning sits burning 50w ..a lot of expended energy per hour for the likely 18 hours per day it sits idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts