MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the extended Mini warranty policy document. It says that the warranty will only cover factory fitted superchargers. Obviously the vast majority of R53 Works kits fitted were installed by dealers, so I assume the extended warranty doesn't cover other JCW components, including the cylinder head. Am I also correct that Works components fitted by the dealer were only covered for 2 years?

If it doesn't cover the cylinder head, then to me the warranty is worthless. Has anyone asked the Mini Warranty people this question before? I have asked them and they said they would call me straight back, but considering that the was a couple of hours ago, I guess they haven't been asked before?

If this is the case then, it means you can't purchase an extended warranty from Mini, for a Works car, despite them being BMW approved.

I have to say, it is a totally different company from Mini that look after the extended warranties, so I don't think the idea of them being extended is totally all that it says it is.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
I've had this issue rear up recently my jcw wasbought with 12mnths cherished warranty that was described to me as covering the car from point of sale for 12months excluding consumables such as tyres clutch.

Recent trip to the stealers for some warranty work revealed that no dealer fitted options are covered by the cherished warranty. BIG issue for anyone considering a cherished jcw. Typically this only arose after I had taken out the extended warranty.

Again with the extended warranty it is not made clear that MINI options are NOT covered by the warranty wqhen purchasing. If they confirm that this is true mine will be cancelled and waranty obtained independently from someone who does.

I've been waiting 1.5 weeks for an answer :roll:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's pants really. If, as it looks, your cylinder head or supercharger aren't covered, then the insurer could effectively blame numerous engine problems on the cylinder head and get away without covering any of them.

The extended warranty is only Mini in name, if you look at the website it says Mondial Assistance UK and underwritten by ELVIA Travel Insurance in Netherlands. The use of the the Mini logo is very misleading, I think a lot of people could be fooled into thinking they are extending (as I said in my subject line and above) their Warranty but they are not at all, it is no different than going to Warranty Direct.

I noticed in the letter they sent me, it is very cleverly worded. "Your Mini has enjoyed the reassurance and support of extensive MINI warranty cover. So I would like to offer you the chance to extend your motoring peace of mind". There is a lot on onus on the Extensive and Extended!!!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mini warranty (Mondial Assistance) rang me back and basically haven't had a reply from Mini UK yet.

It seems the final decision to pay a claim or not is with Mini UK. If you take a car, still within manufacturers 3 year warranty, to a dealers for a repair. The dealers if unsure will contact the Warranty Team at Mini UK for clarification.

It works the same for the "Mini Insured Warranty", the same people at Mini UK will make the decision to say what is covered, so they tell Mondial Assistance yes or no. So the decision makers are still the same, which is obviously not the case with a third party company like Warranty Direct.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
it's pretty rubbish all round really.

I think the factory jcws are covered but if the kit was fitted by a dealer it's not, seems very stupid imho.

Interestingly the salesman understood my interpretation of the cherished warranty and was surprised when I raised it with him

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The JCW tuning kit is classed as an acessory, and as such is only covered by warranty for 24 months. If factory fitted it should be covered for the full three year term of the warranty.

The MINI extended warranty will not cover the JCW engine tuning kit, or any problem arising from it. If fitted within the last two years, this will be covered by warranty with your dealer.

Again, if factory fitted, the extended warranty will cover the tuning kit and its various parts.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The JCW tuning kit is classed as an acessory, and as such is only covered by warranty for 24 months. If factory fitted it should be covered for the full three year term of the warranty.

The MINI extended warranty will not cover the JCW engine tuning kit, or any problem arising from it. If fitted within the last two years, this will be covered by warranty with your dealer.

Again, if factory fitted, the extended warranty will cover the tuning kit and its various parts.
If that is the case, it seems totally pointless in buying a Mini warranty for a JCW. Plus my milage is so low, that I don't think I really need to.

I'll just save a few bob and spend it on something else. :biggrin:

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
and makes a cherished jcw a rip off as well over half of the engine has no warranty.

All other manufacturers cover approved used cars for 12 months so why do MINI not do the same? Tje cherished system involves the dealer checking tha car is upto the Cherished Standard so it should be the car including accessories oroptions fitted at the time of sale that is covered.

Essentially if you buy a cherished jcw and anything happens to the cylinder head, airbox, exhaust, supercharger or ecu you have no warranty protection despite paying extra for the Cherished promise

The second issue is MINI do not inform buyers of this at the time of sale, leaving the dealers/MINI in breach of the their own promises and terms of sale, etc etc

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
and why is the factory fitted kit treated differently to a dealer fitted kit? it's exactly the same parts or by not offering the same warranty are MINI implying that the dealer mechanics are not capable of fitting the parts to an adequate standard?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
To be honest I think it is a rule that leaves a significant grey area....

If I bought a Cherished MINI and the supercharger failed after 1 month, I'd expect it to be fixed, JCW or not. Failure to fix the fault under the warranty would mean that the product sold was not of satisfactory quality, and could give grounds for rejection. So I'm fairly sure that in most cases, it would be fixed under warranty.

Most dealers are fairly clueless when it comes to their own rules also, so most probably wouldn't even know to question the warranty on a particular part ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
mmmmm this is all very interesting and a huge eye opener for me.

I have a 2003 JCW with a month or so left of the cherished warranty, 42k miles, the list of work I have 'had done' so far includes:- a new/recon gearbox, new boost valve, new boot handle/grip plus seals, and new drivers seat runners and base and gladly all covered under warranty no quibble really (to be blunt i think the stealer is glad of the work!).

At no point whatsoever in the half dozen or more visits since or at the time i bought the car did anyone explain to me that anything JCW related is not covered, I was just told everything mechanical and electrical is covered (no small print whatsover).

Also agree with previous posts that most dealership staff have no idea what the correct answer is half the time, but surely this is mis-selling if nothing else and why the daft distinction between factory and dealer fit JCW kits.

Due one last round with the dealer to get window motors replaced, previous repair job has made no difference and off side completely stopped working last weekend so no doubt will get the stock "no fault code at moment sir - bring it back when it does it again!" response.....

Once out of warranty I plan on taking my chances, it is a great car but all the work needed after just 42k has certainly dented my confidence in it.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
I really debated hard on extending warranty but it pays for it self within 3.5 hours labour so guessed it was worth it.

Mines just come out of cherished but I have an issue with a £40 part failing during the cherished and checked by the dealer a month before. But thats a whole other story :D

In the cherished handbook there is one vague statement about "factory" but certainly nothing about MINI options/accessories being excluded. Tje big issue is you as a buyer only get this handbook after sale! I explicitly asked what was covered under cherished and told everything except tyres, clutch, brake pads and discs the normal wear and tear items

1 - 12 of 12 Posts