MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· SpeckyBeardy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
curious to know a) if anyone gets their in-warranty mini serviced anywhere other than a BMW dealership and, if they do, b) does not having the in-car service record update matter?

I only just discovered that BMW operate this scam of using proprietary software to update service records when Minis are serviced. I think that non-BMW service centres can reset service counters but they cannot update the in-car service record unless they pay what amounts to a ransom to BMW. In the UK that ransom equates to about £1000 for software plus a per-car access charge.

Any comments about this?

· Registered
1,302 Posts
If the service book are stamped and updated every time it shouldn't matter about in-car service records.

If OEM parts are used and the job(s) are done correctly for the service it shouldn't matter about servicing your car anywhere else.

Unless Mini don't use service books anymore?

· SpeckyBeardy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's right - Mini/BMW don't use service books any more...….I'm thinking of getting a generic, blank service book anyway, but I really wanted to know if anyone else has gone down this route and whether they had any problems. For example, were there any issues with the car's on board service alerting system and did all of the service counters (oil etc.) reset ok?

· Registered
1,302 Posts
So, if someone is on in-car sevice records only and when the time comes to sell the car. If it's sold to a non BMW Mini, they'll have to contact BMW Mini for a printout of all the srvices done to proof full service history.

Do they still give out printed documents after every service or repair?

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Just done a quick search and looks like BMW has been doing this for a few years now and Mini is just following BMW.

People had purchased their own service book and got it stamped after service.

· SpeckyBeardy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a June 2018 Mini Cooper. There's no service book. The on board computer has a service history section - but that's the part which on BMW dealers can access, and which costs your local repair shop (should they want similar access) £1000 in software fees plus an additional charge per car. This is clearly a scam by BMW to try to force Mini owners to have their cars serviced by BMW. I'm trying to find ways around this system, and I'm pretty sure that any repair shop can reset the service indicators back to 'zero' (or 'just serviced'), but they can't put that service record entry in the car. I can't believe I'm the only person looking into this so would welcome comments from others. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.