MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

If you are thinking of buying a sat nav unit then this has to be for you.

MINI Garmin Navigation Unit - was £292, now £215

The MINI navigation unit is a portable unit made by Garmin for MINI. It has european mapping, MP3 player, bluetooth handsfree calling, and the best bit - the cars position can be displayed by a mini, and you can choose various colours and decors to match your own MINI!!!

The unit also comes with a bracket to attach to the rev counter so it does not impair visibilty , and comes with a hardwire kit so you dont have any wires going off the the 12v charging socket.

It can of course still be used in other cars by unclipping and then using the provided winsdscreen bracket.

I only have 5 left so let me know if you would like one. :p

thanks
matt

Attachments

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Can you give a price for fitting?

I've spent a while looking at this.
So..........
The wiring loom only supplies power/switches the unit on and off
It does not mute the stereo/route either the mp3 music, sat instuctions or bluetooth stuff through the car stereo which is a shame considering it is a "wired in" unit

But it is a neat installation taking an official 30 mins to fit. It is based on a 18month old unit..............which has come down a lot (originally £400+)

·
Noob
247 Posts
HI

The MINI navigation unit is a portable unit made by Garmin for MINI. It has european mapping, MP3 player, bluetooth handsfree calling, and the best bit - the cars position can be displayed by a mini, and you can choose various colours and decors to match your own MINI!!!

The unit also comes with a bracket to attach to the rev counter so it does not impair visibilty , and comes with a hardwire kit so you dont have any wires going off the the 12v charging socket.

It can of course still be used in other cars by unclipping and then using the provided winsdscreen bracket.

thanks
matt
Omigod. That is SO cool! I love it.

Pity I'm in Australia.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you give a price for fitting?

I've spent a while looking at this.
So..........
The wiring loom only supplies power/switches the unit on and off
It does not mute the stereo/route either the mp3 music, sat instuctions or bluetooth stuff through the car stereo which is a shame considering it is a "wired in" unit

But it is a neat installation taking an official 30 mins to fit. It is based on a 18month old unit..............which has come down a lot (originally £400+)
We can fit for £70 inc vat. So fitted price including unit is £285.

The unit is based on an older style unit, but you can update the maps etc by connecting to the internet. :smile:

Matt

Reactions: rentagas

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sorry to but in - yes it can. You can add an extra adaptor to this Mini nav in addition to the adaptor it comes with
:DCan you really, tell me more Mike. I have this OEM mount / hardwire with a Garmin 360T fitted and would love to get better volume / sound from incoming calls coming through speakers. Can it mute the radio too?

Is this a 'at mike's place only' fit or a DIY?.

Thanks.

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
thanks mikey. I realized this was possible but was subtly asking if they would install the necessary lead-which they will not

·
Noob
247 Posts
HI

thanks
matt
Is there a model number of this Garmin unit?

·
<')))<
2,019 Posts
it's a nuvi 350. by default the cable only provides power.

i got one from our warehouse before they were released (i work for Garmin) and fitted it myself in about 15-20 minutes.

here's the original thread:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-interior-ice/143344-official-mini-portable-navigation-unit.html

and here's the pictures of it fitted: http://www.mini2.com/forum/interior-ice/148260-portable-sat-nav.html#post3203418

bear in mind that the ONLY retrofit options from MINI are the MINI branded nuvis. you can purchase other GPS units, but the only official MINI options (and the only ones you can get from your MINI dealer with an official MINI mount) are the Garmin rebranded ones.

·
Queen of Hwy 128
691 Posts
Best thread for this?

Hi,

I have an after market Mini branded GPS unit. Had to have the actual unit replaced (nuvi 360) and they sent me the whole package including mounting arm. If anyone would like the extra mounting arm, please let me know. I would be happy to send it.

Not sure if it fits other nuvi models. It would be tight to be any bigger than the 360.

Best,

MM

·
Noob
247 Posts
Hi Justin, Auto Classic has these and will probably do a good deal for a clubMINI member. :smile:
Oooh. Nice. Thanks Mike.

My understanding is that this is not a Garmin unit exclusive to MINI. It is part of the Garmin 300 series ?310.
Ahh. Thanks mate. Just weird that it's not showing on the Australian Garmin site.

Thanks anyway.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
just did a quick gogle search...and (going from what rec said, it being a Nuvi 350) can get one for £97.64 inc VAT.....so why is it £292/£215 from a MINI dealer???

is this where the nickname stealers comes from? :D

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
I suspect that it is not Wollaston motors who are making the profit but a combination of Garmin charging a greater amount for a custom case, custom firmware and software (ie mini branding, cars etc.), an extra £60 for a custom mount, custom MINI wiring and the fact that the manufacture was commissioned 18 months ago plus when prices were much higher. Only you can decide if it is orth the £115 extra.
I'm not sure that I want a Halfords tech, taking apart the dashboard of my car................................

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
you could get mikey to take your dashboard apart.....:)

i personally, if i wanted a MINI badge on my sat nav...that bad, would get Phil to get me a little MINI badge cut out in vinyl for 50p and stick it on. i can change the windows or mac logos on my computer with very simple, cheep software.....

·
<')))<
2,019 Posts
you can buy the mount seperately...
but if i were you, i'd wait until MINI United comes about.

and that's all i'm saying on the matter... heed my words (hint) !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts