MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aaaarrrggghhhh ...

Despite my beloved MINI GP being under 2 years old, there's yet another problem ...

1. First there was the "flaking paint on the front bumper" issue (fixed under warranty)
http://www.mini2.com/forum/john-cooper-works-gp/143278-flaking-paint-mini_gp.html

2. Then there was the "exhaust" problem (again fixed under warranty)
http://www.mini2.com/forum/john-coo...cooper-works-exhaust-anyone-had-problems.html

3. Now I need a new clutch / flywheel (hopefully to be fixed by my local MINI stealer next week under warranty)!! Why me?!! Re this new issue, I first noticed it as I reported in this thread 5 months ago back in March:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/john-cooper-works-gp/151643-stiff-1st-gear-gp.html

Now, I just want check with you guys:-
a) Has anyone else had their MINI GP clutch/flywheel changed due to such issues or experiencing clutch-related problems?
b) Is the MINI GP clutch/flywheel different to the 'stock' MINI? I ask since when I had the "exhaust problem" fixed - see 2. above - the stealers originally ordered the wrong part for a stock Cooper S rather than for a GP... should I now be worried that I'll drop it in to be fixed next week and they might have ordered the wrong clutch/flywheel?!

Funny, I now somehow feel a little better for sharing my frustration! lol

·
Registered
940 Posts
Had the clutch done but not the flywheel. My understanding is its a standard S clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI paul - they will try and tell you it is not under warranty - due to poor driver skills. I have done 20,000kms in my 2007 model and am in the middle of **** FIGHT with BMW Australia over the issue. Verbal quote for repair was $4600 which was reduced to $3500 when asked for written quote. I'll keep u informed with outcome. I WON'T BE PAYING A CENT.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Esther, thanks for the reply. Good news for me, which may also help you...

So, last Tuesday I took my GP into have the new clutch & flywheel MINI/BMW said I needed. It took all day to carry out the change. I'm no mechanic, but I understand they had it up on a ramp and went in from underneath rather than lifting the engine out from above (which to be honest was what I thought they'd have to do). Now all fixed & running very well. Not sure what model of clutch they've fitted, but it seems much smoother/better, BUT the best bit was that it was all done under warranty!! I did double check beforehand with them that the work would be covered under warranty as I certainly thought it should be (GP only done c.18k miles). MINI Sytner here in the UK were very good about the whole thing, although they did say that they might have tried the "it's the way you've driven it" stance IF I'd have done much more mileage, like say, 60k.

Hope this helps you, do let me know. Keep fighting!

Paul

·
GP1224
53 Posts
I replaced my stolen GP(1442) with another GP(1224) after six months of owning pure driving joy with the first. I assumed the second GP would be just as fun, however, having owned it now for nearly 8 weeks, I noticed a knocking sound at the n/s rear wheel on right turns. An inspection by my local BMW/MINI garage (Park Lane), they've hit me with work that needs doing because of the way I have driven it in those 2 months, which is 1k motorway miles. So I need:
4 new brake pads
4 brake discs
2 new tyres
and, which is why i reply, a new clutch and flywheel.
To get all this done is £2k before labour, which I find unreasonable that I should be paying any of these bills. Purchased from Fawdington MINI in Newcastle as a cherished MINI, i wouldnt expect these faults so soon?
Any help greatly appreciated!!

·
Mini Cooper S GP1299
169 Posts
Hello

I have had the same problem as you, paint on the front bumper falling of while washing.

Had clutch problems maybe 6 months ago, BMW aberdeen did it under warranty, got a new clutch and flywheel. A friend of mine is a mechanic and from the noise and when the noise appeared or diappeared he could tell it was the thrust bearing (clutch out = knocking noise, clutch in = sounds normal) because it is a big job to get to the thrust bearing they replaced the clutch aswell.

It back at the garage again now, started to sound like a tractor/old fiesta, the BMW emergency call out guy think it was a broken spring on one of the valves, they get the parts tomorrow so should hopefully get it back tomorrow afternoon.

I was going to start a thread asking how many other people have had problems, glad it isn`t just me ........ even though... I`m never selling it, love it.

Also, although the warranty on the car runs out next year, because the clutch was replaced it has a longer warranty, and I think after 3 years you`ll get a letter from BMW offering you the option to extend the warranty, I`m definalty taking it.

Andysmith !!!!!!
That bollacks, bought mine second hand from a garage in dundee (not BMW), for every problem I have had I just take it to the BMW garage in aberdeen. If its still under warranty you don`t pay, all warranty work get billed back to germany, so the UK garages love it.

Dont pay, they are just been pricks, yell, complain in person when they have lots of customers in. Warranty is warranty.

When I took mine in with the clutch my driving style was not questioned at all, its supposed to be thrashed a bit (lot). I have fallen out with them in the past though, so they tend to be quite nice to me now. you should also mention that it is quite a high profile car, you are an active member of many mini websites and clubs/events and that you don`t want to have to write nasty things about them all over the interweb

·
Registered
1 Posts
worn clutch

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrghh!

I have a 2008 cooper S and the clutch has gone after 10k miles (the car hasn't even been in for its first service), the dealership are asking me to pay for it which is approx GBP3,000 as they claim it is not a "warranty item"

they are saying it's down to my "driving style"

I have had all the previous minis with no issues ever, is this related to the new stop / start stuff on these new models?

does anyone have any tips as to what I can do to challenge this invoice, arguing the with the service dept has got me nowhere

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just keep om and on at BMW to replace it, use what ever you can to get them to change it under warenty. I tried and failed. As it is not under warrenty I would ask them to replace clutch and flywheel with a non duel mass after market one with a warranty!

·
cooper1019
100 Posts
mini warranty

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrghh!

I have a 2008 cooper S and the clutch has gone after 10k miles (the car hasn't even been in for its first service), the dealership are asking me to pay for it which is approx GBP3,000 as they claim it is not a "warranty item"

they are saying it's down to my "driving style"

I have had all the previous minis with no issues ever, is this related to the new stop / start stuff on these new models?

does anyone have any tips as to what I can do to challenge this invoice, arguing the with the service dept has got me nowhere
i would give mini customer care a call,and tell them what yr mini stealer have said,and tell them you aint happy,i have called them myself after being messed around and they came up trumps.:angry:

·
}{o$$sie
76 Posts
Hi, i have had a simliar problem i have a 52plate s ( i know its older and not a gp) but it stil had a warrenty, i tried everything goin down to bmw moanin, e-mailing and phoning bmw customer services iv even though about going try to get legal action if i could but still in progress, they are telling me that a flywheel is under warrenty but clutch isnt, spoke to a mechanic and he said if a flywheel goes it will damage the clutch??

So if a warrenty part has mucked a non warrenty part up what happens there?

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a known fault on the GPs with the clutch and flywheel. It doesnt fail but it caused a slight whinning noise when pulling away on hills. I know a couple of GP's that have had this replaced underwarrenty (clutch & flywheel)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i have had a simliar problem i have a 52plate s ( i know its older and not a gp) but it stil had a warrenty, i tried everything goin down to bmw moanin, e-mailing and phoning bmw customer services iv even though about going try to get legal action if i could but still in progress, they are telling me that a flywheel is under warrenty but clutch isnt, spoke to a mechanic and he said if a flywheel goes it will damage the clutch??

So if a warrenty part has mucked a non warrenty part up what happens there?

thanks
Go to the dealer, take a handful of these complaints and say FIX IT. There are hundreds of quotes like this on mini forums everywhere. I told my dealer to TAKE my car. That I would not pay 3200+ for a new flywheel and Clutch. I have owned and driven manual cars for 43 years, and have never had one go out. NEVER.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts