MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mini Cooper S R53 JCW
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I currently have a Gen 1 R53 JCW that is having trouble starting at the moment. Only problem is that I changed out almost everything and it's still doing it
Ignition coils or MSD? Nope, Switched them for aftermarket ones off of a R50 which used to run fine (My old car before I wrote it off
Fuel pump? Again no, I switched the Fuel pump from the R50 at the same time
Battery's completely fine as it starts my mothers R53 no problem
The car runs absolutely fine after starting so I don't think it's anything to do with the Fuel supply (Though I am planning on getting a new Fuel filter pretty soon)
My dad currently thinks it might be the starter motor that's causing the issue but I have my doubts about it

Have you guys got any idea's what it could be?

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
327 Posts
Is the starter motor cranking the engine normally, or does it seem sluggish?

First step is to have the codes read. The code reader must be able to read Mini specific codes, some readers will only read emissions codes that are required by law.

If NO codes are present, that’s information in itself. It means that all the sensors and actuators (solenoids, etc.) are in good shape and the problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
2003 Mini Cooper S R53 JCW
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the starter motor cranking the engine normally, or does it seem sluggish?

First step is to have the codes read. The code reader must be able to read Mini specific codes, some readers will only read emissions codes that are required by law.

If NO codes are present, that’s information in itself. It means that all the sensors and actuators (solenoids, etc.) are in good shape and the problem is elsewhere.
Starter motor is cranking the same way my mothers & R50's starter are. Though after having a play around with my code reader I found that hidden in the files was a fault for Engine Misfire. I knew the engine was misfiring due to the fact that only 3 pistons were firing when I first ran up the engine after switching the MSD and Coils, though after a quick restart it ran as it usually did with the stock MSD & Coils. (Thinking about it now that is probably why the Engine light is on)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts