MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Not exactly sure where to start. My Car was in a bad accident about 2 weeks ago. I'm driving a 2004 Cooper S. I was rearended by a Pickup Truck with some pretty good force behind it. My car would not start after this. I assume the mini has an emergency cut off for the fuel?

Right now it is in the shop and still is not running and they're sending it off to another mechanic. I do not believe the mechanic is BMW Certified. I am past my warrenty period and was wondering does it still need to be BMW Certified mechanic? My father has had experiance with this mechanic shop and they have done a rather poor job in the past on his two cars. Jag had to go in for a new transmission which cost quite a bit. Then took my brothers car in tinkered with it for 4+ hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't start and then realized that the fuse box in the engine was fried. Then charged him the amount for the entire time they wasted. I'm working with my insurance and the guys insurance but can I request where the car be sent to? I'd rather it just go to a Mini Dealership and get fixed where I know they're certified to work on the car.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Ddraig

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car :(

When a mini's in an accident, the leads to the battery automatically disconnect. that's undoubtedly why it didn't start. they'll need to be reconnected for it to start again.

if you know a good place to send the car to, by all means request your insurance or his approve that place. if they balk, explain to them that in the long run it will cost less to have someone do it right the first time both in terms of labour/parts, and in terms of the insurance company's own costs to keep track of the poor job and approve future work. :) My insurance company, in my location specifically goes to the dealer, because mini's are so infrequent in my part of the states. they're the only ones on the insurance's qualified list.

be tough with the insurance. they provide YOU with a service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dakini,

I'm in Northern Virginia, and just browsed the website of the place they're thinking of sending it too and it looks like they are not or do not advertise bmw certified tech. I will probably call my insurance and see what they say. I might call the body shop and see why they chose them and see if there are alternatives. If it is just the battery leads that popped off then it does not sound like too much trouble to fix, but if they can't figure out a simple fuse box in 4 hours then it makes me wonder what they will do to my car. The other thing is it did have an odor right after I was hit. I don't know if it was an electric or gas smell because it has been a little while now since the accident and my memory has faded. However at the time my thought immediately went to gas but it didn't quite smell like gas either.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
i know exactly where you live ... i used to drive up and down 29 a lot. know remington from driving through there. i'd see if they won't get it up to the dealer in ... where is it? sterling? dale city? it's probably the one you bought it from.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep bought it from Sterling, I think I'd rather have crown work on it though they did a pretty good job last time I took it to them. Sterling has gone down hill every time I've been there has been some issues with customer service.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
it's too bad the dealer's gone downhill. do press on with the insurance to make sure it goes to someone who knows something about minis or bmw's. i'd imagine there should be a fair number nearby, though probably in warrenton/nova or richmond?

fauquier to richmond/henrico's probably not that much further ... i think there's a dealer there? not sure what side of the city it's on, though. unfortunately, i bought mine after i'd moved from central VA, so i don't know who's good there.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
When a mini's in an accident, the leads to the battery automatically disconnect. that's undoubtedly why it didn't start. they'll need to be reconnected for it to start again.
Didn't know that:confused:

I know the ECU puts the car into emergency shut down mode, drops all the windows and unlocks all the doors, which it couldn't do if the battery leads disconnected;)

Then the ECU had to be reset, which an easy way to do is to disconnect the battery for a period of time.

But I could be wrong

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Rakey, you could be more correct that I on this one ... I just remember what a friend and my MA were trying to explain to me a month or so after I bought mine ... so my memory could be a bit fuzzy. :eek:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Rakey, you could be more correct that I on this one ... I just remember what a friend and my MA were trying to explain to me a month or so after I bought mine ... so my memory could be a bit fuzzy. :eek:
Girls:rolleyes:

never thought I'd say that to you:p

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Girls:rolleyes:

never thought I'd say that to you:p
just be glad there's an ocean between us at the moment so your wedding tackle is safe. :p

ok, back to topic and saving the guy from the old dominion the pain of clueless mechanics. :p

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
In the UK work does not have to be carried out by a BMW apporved garage, evn if the car is in warrantee (the warrantee can't be cancelled for this reason... also BMW do not have to be used, as long as the parts are genuinly up to the job, its down to BMW to prove that it was the fitting of inferior parts that has caused any warrantee issue). The only limitation on insurance work in the UK is that most insurers prefer work to be done at thier approved workshops. If you don't want it done there then you have to obtain quotes from 3 other non approved shops to get it done at 1 of them before the insurance will pay for it.

As your out of warrantee then I'd ask for it to be done where you want or at one of the insurers other approved workshops. If your with MINI insurance then yes they may well say the work has to be done at a MINI approved garage.

Thats just the UK point of view... not sure for you in the US

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Oh and no the battery does not disconnect. There is an auto fuel shut-off (has to have one) and I believe its possible that the ECU needs to reset for many functions to work after its sensed an impact.... but not sure on that. I doubt the battery becomes totally isolated from the system though as otherwise certain things on the car that might be needed for towing or escape etc might not work (so that could be a potential danger) However if its an S and it was in the rear the battery might be damaged, or cables might be snapped or shorted accross one anouther as the S battery and leads etc are in the boot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts