MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Changing the inside door release cable on the MINI

When I purchased my Cooper S I was unable to open the passenger door from the inside. It had to be opened using the outside handle. Very annoying.

I recently changed the release cable to solve the problem as the cables stretch over time. I suspect others may have had this problem and it was a fairly difficult job so thought I would offer advice if anyone wants to attempt the job themselves as I did - it will save you at least 1 hour of BMW dealership fitting time at £100+ an hour!!!

PM me with tel. no and i will call to give full details but in brief:

To change the cable, the entire lock mechanism must be removed from the door.
This requires:
1) Remove door trim - remembering the hidden screw located behind the small circular reflector. After the four screws are out, pop the door trim off starting at the bottom and working up the sides - then pull off slowly towards you and lift over the door pin.
2) Remove door handle (interior) and disconnect cable to be changed.
3) Disconnect door pin and remove - pulls out of the main lock unit.
4) Unbolt the door lock unit - 3 bolts in end of door - usually very tight - broke two tools!
5) Disconnect exterior handle release cable.
6) Disconnect electrical connector that operates central locking.

Now, the unit will still not come out of the door as it is blocked by one of the window runners. Move this by loosening the bolt to the undside of the door and temporarily reposition the runner.

The unit will now come free and a small plastic hatch can be opened with a flat screwdriver to reveal the cable connection point.

Remove calbe and connect new cable, re-running new calbe in place of the old ensuring that all the original clips are used, this prevents clashing with the window operation etc. Then put back together in reverse order.

Entire job took 1.5 hours - mainly due to fiddling with cable connection to the exterior handle! Small hands and a torch are useful.

Ashley

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a great help to me .. but where can i get the cable from ??? once i have the cable will just need someone to fit it for me :))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts