MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used them for my JCW and my BMW.

I phoned today to transfer cover to my D. They wanted to go through every option. Because they didn't know what the "visibility pack" was and I couldn't tell them exactly what it comprised (it's not on the MINI website) they couldn't process my application. I explained it was OE, but they said that that wasn't good enough because some dealers might put on extra lights and call it a visibility pack.

Unbelievable....but true!

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I dont trust MINI insurance at all! They voided my insurance over a spoiler on my ONE that even they knew about!! They told me that modifications wernt allowed for under 25s, yet they'd taken my money for the policy, AND they'd taken extra money for when I added my sideskirts part way through!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Visibility pack is:
Heated windscreen, auto lights and rain sensor, auto-dimming rear view mirror.

Personally, I don't like the auto dimming rear view mirror - had it on several previous cars where it darkens the mirror so much you don't know when a car is behind you! Plus with a heated windscreen, I find myself staring at the heating filaments in the screen - very distracting!!! Safer for everybody on the road that I've just gone for the auto lights and rain sensor option (although I'm not all that keen on the rain sensor :rolleyes:)

Never considered Mini insurance, but given SDC's experience, think I might stick with my current insurer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No here's the end story.

They wanted £583 to reinsure my 2007 BMW 325i M Sport Cab and £680 to insure my Cooper D

Go figure!

When I asked to justify they said:

1. My wife has an SP30 conviction
2. There were so many options on the car.

I bought elsewhere for £210. (OK SAGA - go on and tease me.)

Have a nice day

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mini insurance really has nothing to do with mini It another insurance company that sells on behalf of mini .
Doesnt deserve the Mini name

They have no product knowledge of minis (know nothing baout new JCW), nor most of the options + customer service is very poor and they are expensive You'd have to be mad to take their policy

they were miles more expensive than privilege who arent the cheapest around

I havent heard one good thing about them. Any one got a good word to say

Their Gap insurance is a joke too

Sort it out MINI. We are not idiots!

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Not good experiences of MINI insurance here either. Quote for my COOPER Works (Soundkit) was higher than quotes for a GP from other insurers. And here's the jem, they wanted to up the premium by £380 for my official MINI JCW Aero kit.

As is stated they are not MINI in anyway. They are just an insurer with the right to use the MINI name, which was obviously sold out to the company offering the biggest kick back per policy to MINI.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Visibility pack problem here too - got my certificate and noticed it had heated seats, not heated windscreen. Apparently that's the closest option they can think of to match...

Also noted that the viper stripes weren't on the policy. That'll be an extra £89.25 sir. I explained this was somewhat shocking as they were a standard BMW part at £100 retail, and suggested I'd take them off if it would increase the premium by a third. They relented after consulting with a manager and just added a note to the policy. Then asked how to spell 'viper'...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ive said it before these guys are an embarrasment to the Mini name. They know nothing about the product they are meant to in sure. Business is subcontracted to another firm and boy it shows!

·
><((((º>`·. ¸¸. ·><((((º>
86 Posts
This is my first Mini and they gave me a quote thats was less expensive than Elephant...found them to be quite competitive...I took the free week's insurance but after reading posts on this website, I wouldnt take theres out for long term....

Direct Lin gave a me the cheapest quote so far...

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Is Mini insurance expensive?
Yes Jayx165 , you could definitely find a cheaper quote elsewhere
....in my case, 3 times the premium
Not strictly true
It depends on personal cricumstances. What's good for one might not be good for another.
We've got MINI insurance on ours as it's the cheapest. They even did a price match on renewal which I thought was cool. One small polite phone call goes a long way :)

·
Never to old to have fun
320 Posts
Hi all
I went for the 7 day cover from Mini ins as recommended by my dealer. Mainly so they could tax the car.
First they forgot to send certificate to dealer :frown: secondly after dealer chased them up they got the reg details wrong :mad:
Verbal quote they gave me was £170 more than my existing insurer, I asked for the quote & details to be sent to me.............7 weeks later.....nothing :(
Oh well, least I know who not to contact next month when insurance due :D

·
any day now....
141 Posts
I was arranging the 7 day insurance and their quote was about 3 times the quote Flux gave me. Needless to say I wont be going with MINI Insurance!

The dealer did warn me that one of two things would happen with them "they will either be ridiculously cheap or be the comedy quote"

Brian.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I

The dealer did warn me that one of two things would happen with them "they will either be ridiculously cheap or be the comedy quote"

They are a comedy outfit.. A bit of the call i had with them.trying to get a quote for my new Factory Works........

"Sorry what is a John Works Cooper"

Me..........No a John Cooper Works - manufactured in 2008

"Sorry system doesnt have one of those . I have a 2004 Cooper S Works is that it"

Me ......... No it is a brand new model John Cooper Works ....Just been built hence 2008

" Is that made by Mini"

Me .......Of course it is ....why would i be ringing Mini insurance if it were a toyota?

"I do not like your tone of call caller"

Me ...Well i dont like you blatant lack of product knowledge and CANT DO attitude

They hung up!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
....my frustration was that they said the visibility pack didn't exist and was a dealer add on.

They wanted more to insure a £20k MINI than renew insurance on my £40k BMW. Go figure!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts