MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
All Shiney :)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
righty after a month of waiting i finally recieved my Dension ice>link with CABLE not cradle yesterday...i choose the cable over a cradle as i didnt want the ipod on show nor did i want to drill big holes etc in my dash..

so i set about installing it last night when i got home from work !

After a lot of swearing and genral abuse to my car i managed to squeeze it all in ;)

And in one word ! FECKIN COOOOOOOOL ! (ok 2 but whos counting)

the only thing i will say is that i did get confused with the supplied instuctions specially as i didnt have a white plug to begin with so i ended up looking at the pictures in this months GO:mini mag... anways heres some piccys if your interested!

1. point of no return

2. chop big hole out of the glovebox internal blanking plate

3.the said blanking plate in question

4.cables all in tidy and foam taped

5. all connected

6.done!

7.dusted!

sorry for the long post but wanted to share my excitement !!

the mini ipod comes with a belt clip that if you turn round clips GREAT!! to the sunglasses holder surround !! ;)

Jobs a Good'en

Andy..

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im sure that the supplied instuctions are fine ! but i dont RTFM until the very last moment !

in this case i just looked at the pictures :)

i might have to use my iskin instead of the clip as my minipod clip has streched a little already!!

the only problem now is i have too much music and cannot decide!! :):):)

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh same icelink kit!! except i wanted the cable not the cradle which has only just become availible

and yeh deffo the MFSW work !! one of the main reasons i went with this over the aux cable!!

:) andy,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for sharing the install. Cabling looks a bit complicated. Do you unplug the head unit wiring loom and plug in an additional wiring harness to the rear of the head unit? (looks like you do in the photo). I have the aux. driving lights wired into two of the wires that join the head unit and would be worried the ice link would interfere with their operation. Also how much was the unit to install if you don't mind me asking? I am still wondering if I should wait on the IPOD your MINI option from BMW/Apple
Thanks,
Ian

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have to say the cabling couldnt be simpler. yes it is a case of unpluggin and plugging another in essentially the hardest bit it the taking the centre console parts apart really ! (not that bad at all with the right tools)! i wousl imagine it would interfer with anything but then im no electronics wizz (but i cant see how)

the icelink & cable was £120 i believe and fitting was free ( i did it, YES it really must be that easy)

i too was going to wait for the bmw kit until i quized my dealer and he basically said it will be a long time before we see it over here as MINI UK have only just had a kit for testing ! besides expected fitted price will be £300ish so in my opinion a few bloody knuckles,couple of swear words laters + over £170 saved in your back burner id take the leap and do it yourself!!

Andy..

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
Zippster said:
yeh same icelink kit!! except i wanted the cable not the cradle which has only just become availible

and yeh deffo the MFSW work !! one of the main reasons i went with this over the aux cable!!

:) andy,

Cheers.. I also just want the cable instead of the cradle... I want it in the glovebox but also want to use both my ipod mini and a standard ipod that I share with my better half.... not fussed on having it on display.

I take it that the ice-link still only alllows selection of next song/ play/ pause.. and that the song isn't displaye on the head unit...

cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Andy,
I've had the head unit out before so that should be no problem. I like the foam touch with the cables, right now i have lots of rattles in that area - so hope this should solve the problem

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh icelink lets you FF/RR next track, volume etc etc but to be honest thats all you need!!

ive created a few playlists on the mini called ,mini genrally, mini rocker and mini electronic which covers most of my tastes but i also have an 'ALL' playlist to cover all corners!!

i use all playlists on shuffle, the problem you will find is that theres so much dam music to choose from, my wife today was getting very cheesed with me listening to 20secs of one song before pressing the magic button to find out what mr shuffle will play next :):)

deffo my best mod so far (only mod)

as for the foam i hate rattles, they bother me to the point where i have to find it no matter how long it takes me !

Andy..

·
Englishman abroad
9 Posts
Hi Zippster,
Thanks a lot for the Pics, It made my life simple
I did the exact same setup this morning, I have SAT NAV and H/K setup and was worried about compatibility - no problems though, all works like a dream, MFSW fully functional.
I also have the driving lights - it all fits in - just.
I have never worked on a car before, but the install took just under an hour.

Have also discovered that an I-Pod fits perfectly in the sunglasses holder in the glove compartment.
My advice - Unless you have a burning desire to have 6 playlists and a 170 quid hole in Your pocket, use this setup. If you have sat nav, this is your only choice (the only option to allow MFSW and charging of ipod)
You get the advantage of still being able to navigate via the I-Pod interface, and see the song title being played on the I-pod screen, In the BMW solution I am pretty sure the I-pod screen just shows BMW - not too usefull.

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the bmw kit shuts off the ipod gui as if its connected to usb2/firewire etc.

not that easy for finding that track you really must listen to :):)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm soon to be minified and was hoping someone had done some Ipod trickery...I'm so pleased the MFSW works with it, that's brilliant news. Cheers for the install, and the pics, very helpful,

Will

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi will ! thanks for the PM, unfortunaty the ice>link does not display the track info on the standard stereo (or my HK one :( ) but if it makes you feel a little better nor does the highly priced BMW ipod intergration.

REally doesnt matter though as all ive done is create a few playlists

MINI Electronic - dance, prodigy etc etc
MINI Generally - John mayer, avril etc etc
MINI Rocker - foo fighters , chillis, lenny kravitz etc etc

then just stick the shuffle mode on the ipod/mini ipod to 'Albums'

choose a playlist or select all, and if the album playing doesnt suit all you have to do is FF to the end of the album to get a new random album for your listening pleasure!

knowing what you listen too or whats comming up on the screen is soooooo over rated nowadays :):):)

Andy..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ha, true - just be handy. I never like looking at the Ipod hwen I'm driving anyway, too fiddly...so, like you, I just shove it on shuffle and get anything from billy connolly to derek & clive to Undertones coming out. Ipods really do rule the world... Cheers Andy

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
;)

"as i was walkin' down the street one day, i saw a house on fire"

"there was a man, jumpin up and down and screaming at the crowd below, for he was so afraid"

"jump, you F&*Ker Jump"

Derek and clive ROCK! :) oh and so do ipods..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Andy,
Just one quick question re the install. The blanking plate in the glovebox, how is it removed. I was going to try and pry this off with a screwdriver. Is this correct - I was worried about breaking something. Many thanks

·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hi mini 59/04 the blanking plate just pops out its not really held in with much as such it just clips into the carpet i think i actually popped mine out with my nails(i bite them :) ) or as you say use a screwdriver :)if your going to drill it, i would suggest drilling it where i did, on the back theres loads of lines and strenghteners for the plastic but where i drilled mine there is nothing just flat black plastic (it will make sense when you see it) easy to just drill straight down through :)

Andy..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
8 Participants
MINI 59/04
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing